Character roster not saved?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Bart's Tale

Character roster not saved?

Post by Bart's Tale »

Hi

I have an issue with save games in The Bard's Tale 1 (1985): the character roster is always reset when I exit and re-enter the game.  I bought the new version of BT on Steam with the old 3 classics included.  When I start the first one, it asks me to import characters or to start BT GS and then choose a slot.  Slot/Drive 6/1 and 6/2 get IO errors, and 5/1 is the master slot for the game, so I choose 5/2.  The game works fine.

In the adventurer's guild I press L to leave, and press Enter to save the characters.  When I then restart the game, I go through the whole disk selection thing again and I see that my characters are gone and the original El Cid crew is back.  When I import characters from BT 1 in the first screen they also are not in the list.  What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
caars

Re: Character roster not saved?

Post by caars »

Bart's Tale wrote:Hi

I have an issue with save games in The Bard's Tale 1 (1985): the character roster is always reset when I exit and re-enter the game.  I bought the new version of BT on Steam with the old 3 classics included.  When I start the first one, it asks me to import characters or to start BT GS and then choose a slot.  Slot/Drive 6/1 and 6/2 get IO errors, and 5/1 is the master slot for the game, so I choose 5/2.  The game works fine.

In the adventurer's guild I press L to leave, and press Enter to save the characters.  When I then restart the game, I go through the whole disk selection thing again and I see that my characters are gone and the original El Cid crew is back.  When I import characters from BT 1 in the first screen they also are not in the list.  What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
I'm just spitballing, but is it possibly a permissions thing? You installed it as an admin but you are playing it as a user without write permission to the folder the image of the character disk is on?

What do you mean you are importing from BT 1? You're *playing* BT1 ... do you mean you are trying to import characters from another copy of BT1 into the one you are playing? I don't understand...
Modules for BT Builder (still very much works in progress):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Jarad

Re: Character roster not saved?

Post by Jarad »

If you want to import BT1 characters, once you are at the screen prompt for that then you have to hit the F4 key. That will bring up a GUI interface to exchange the BT1 and BT2 character discs in drive 5-2.

Once that is done, click on the return to game icon in the upper left, and then using the BT2 interface, select the option to Import characters.

Once you are in BT2, and wish to log off, ensure you select Remove all characters first. That will save the characters to file.

Also, ensure you dont select Create Character Disk at the prompt of starting the game, or all your characters are wiped.