Studying the code

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
gnt

Studying the code

Post by gnt »

Hi, I'm an amateur web developer, used to play BT a ton when I was a kid. Wondering if anyone here is familiar with the original code (ie: the DOS or C64 versions, etc.) and could offer some guides for how to go about understanding it. I don't really know anything about lower-lever programming (ie: anything closer to the machine than Javascript) but it seems like a fun way to learn.

Particularly I'm wondering what language(s) this was originally written in. (I may look into finding a decompiler.) In this interview:
https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6ccaee8c14
Cranford says he wrote in "machine language", but I'm not sure if perhaps he's referring to assembly language. Or perhaps there were multiple languages involved such as a version of Basic? Or was it in fact all just typed out by hand in Hexadecimal?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!
Darendor

Re: Studying the code

Post by Darendor »

You might want to study this subforum in detail:

viewforum.php?f=17

A group of us, most notably ZeroZero, Twoflower, and a few others have made progress on deciphering the game code.

I was in the process of studying out the BTII game files but I became afflicted with illness. :?

The game was written originally by Mr Cranford on an Apple II system using, I believe, 6502 assembly language.