MSDOS BT1 (original) - buglist?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
nrjank

MSDOS BT1 (original) - buglist?

Post by nrjank »

I played C64 version 30 years ago. Picked up the original series (not the remasters) and running them under dosbox. Has anyone compiled a port bug list like drifting did for bt3? saw his github had patched bt3 and even hosted some bt2 fixes. I've seen a few things mentioned, whether they were bugs or 'fixes' from the other version ports. But didn't know if anyone even released a patch.

Two items i noticed:
1 - is every dungeon fight (100%) supposed to give you a chest, even random encounters? I've played through to Mangars tower so far, and that's my experience, but I thought only 'fixed' fights ended with chests.

2 - sometimes AC boosting effects persist after returning to the adventurer's guild. This may be a combination of the fact that bard song 5 has different effects in different dungeon levels (sometimes +1, sometimes +2), and one point stays depending on where it was cast and where it wears off. If i go outside, cast&sing again then go back in, sometimes it resets properly. not sure how this accumulates, but i've had my WIDR in the Adv Guild with a -9.

3 - spellcaster Items usabilities seem to not quite match the various lists I've seen around. (who is supposed to be able to wear a mithril scale? surely not all 4 spellcaster classes? seems to be that way in the PC version)

Probably some others I'm just not thinking of.
Darendor

Re: MSDOS BT1 (original) - buglist?

Post by Darendor »

Hello there.

The MSDOS ports of the games are...well...bad. They're replete with errors and inconsistencies.

It is my recommendation that, if you're after an authentic Bard's Tale adventure, you should run a C64 emulator or an Apple II emulator and run one of those versions.

Just my thoughts.
nrjank

Post by nrjank »

agreed. I have both, but i much prefer DOSBOX on my phone via Magic DosBox app than the KEGS emulator, although I've done both.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I personally run the WinVICE emulator, but there's other options too.