A New Tale - Fan Project

Bard's Tale sequels related discussions
Darendor

Re: A New Tale - Fan Project

Post by Darendor »

Weber G wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:25 am So you did it into the temple. I thought this would be very difficult to go in?
- "advances" should simply be "advance"
- The comma after "Intruders" should be an exclamation point, with the following word "kill" being "Kill" (as written, it sounds like he's commanding the intruders to "kill them all")
- There is a period / full stop missing after "he shouts"
:) :) :) :)
Thanks again for all the corrections! I made more failures in english grammar than in programming some new code... A big challenge!
The Sword of Zar would like a word with the so-called "greatest sword in the world". Doing 55 damage is hardly fantastic.
The balancing is very difficult. More than 90% of the monsters have below 100 hit points. I didn't want that 500 damage thing like in BT2. So I reduced the monster hit points and the weapon/ spell damage (more as in BT1). But I think the 'normal' fights are not that hard, right?
It was difficult to find, but I was able to figure out how to get in.

And honestly, you've accomplished what I could only dream of. English isn't your native language, so grammatical errors are bound to happen. I'm simply pointing them out as I find them.

Speaking of, on Temple level 3 the clue at 2N 16E should say "door" instead of "wall", since there's, like, a door there instead of a...wall.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Maybe put one-way doors leading out of the 10' x 10' "death" rooms, in the event that the party prevails against the monster?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

At 10N, 10E on Temple level 3, the spirit guide thing that takes you across the chasm thing has the following issues:

- should load a picture
- "Welcom" should be "Welcome"
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

The fight at 17N 2E on Temple level 3 has the following issues:

- "grumbles" is missing a full stop, and the comma should be on the other side of the quotation mark (i.e. "my own," he grumbles.)
- it's a bit silly having the Novices cast spells considering the square is anti-magic, making the fight probably a bit easier than you intended
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Alright, I've mapped out the third level of the Temple, and I don't get it.

What exactly am I meant to accomplish here? There's no item to get or anything, so.... :?

I presumed the fight with the high priest and his friends was to yield something or other, but...nothing.

So now what?
Weber G

Post by Weber G »

What exactly am I meant to accomplish here? There's no item to get or anything, so.... :?
You have to find the figurine of the goblin god in order to get access to the fortress of the goblin king. This figurine can be found in the room with the high priest.
- it's a bit silly having the Novices cast spells considering the square is anti-magic, making the fight probably a bit easier than you intended
The high priest decided to have the novices with him. It seems it was a bad choise he did... :)
I'm really impressed! And thanks again for the corrections. :)

It seems the 'character-class-riddle' was not too difficult?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Weber G wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:52 am
You have to find the figurine of the goblin god in order to get access to the fortress of the goblin king. This figurine can be found in the room with the high priest.
The high priest decided to have the novices with him. It seems it was a bad choise he did... :)
I'm really impressed! And thanks again for the corrections. :)

It seems the 'character-class-riddle' was not too difficult?
Yeah well I've gone to every square in the dungeon level except for the ones blocked off by the chasm, and I found no figurine. I sort of figured that was what I needed, but I can't find it.

I'll post my map of the level for you to see.

Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I found it; somehow I skipped over the square and marked it with "A".
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

So two things...

The hint at 15N, 0E on Fortress level 1 has a double space between "of and "the". A minor thing, but noticeable.

Also, the hint at 14N, 0E on the same level has two grammatical glitches:
- "hall if full"; should be "hall is full"
- "breath" should be "breathe"

And, just as an anecdote: A roughly 4900 square foot room full of rotten mushrooms would literally kill anyone in a matter of seconds, regardless of how many hit points they have.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Another one....

At 4N, 8E on Fortress level 1, the word "note" is misspelled as "not".
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

The magic mouth that greets you upon descending to level 2 of the Fortress could use some tweaks.

Maybe change it to:

"A powerful basilisk lives here, larger than all the others. It guards the goblin king. No one can harm it with weapons or spells.

Turn back, enemies of Gorack!"

As currently written, the paragraph is a bit jarring and halting.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

On Fortress level 3, at 12N, 2E the hint says "Ask him". Ask him what, exactly?

It's a bit too vague. Is it meant to simply guide the party there?
Weber G

Post by Weber G »

On Fortress level 3, at 12N, 2E the hint says "Ask him". Ask him what, exactly?

It's a bit too vague. Is it meant to simply guide the party there?
Find him and he will tell you his story. This is just a hint as in BT2 'ask the wise of...'.

And thanks again for all the corrections!
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

He just says something like, "Find my crystal ball and I'll show you someplace cool"...

So anyhow, on Fortress level, the magic mouth at 18N, 11E uses a word that makes no sense: "levity".

"...But if you trust a levity and promising young man, then you will die."

That word doesn't belong in that sentence at all. "Levity" means light-hearted and humor, and it doesn't fit in that sentence.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Weber G, we gotta talk about your hints and how much your "dragon god" can go {THE REMAINDER OF THIS POST IS NOT SUITABLE FOR IMMATURE AUDIENCES}

:?