How can I regenerate spell points faster?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
magic_screen

Post by magic_screen »

Hello!

I am using my bard's Rhyme of Duotime song, but it's working only outside and daytime.
Any tip?
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Re: How can I regenerate spell points faster?

Post by Brian the Fist »

magic_screen wrote:Hello!

I am using my bard's Rhyme of Duotime song, but it's working only outside and daytime.
Any tip?
To regenerate in dungeons you have to move your party to a magic square. Another option is to equip items which regenerate spell points (e.g. a mage staff). And of cause you can visit Roscoe's Energy Emporium (BT I & II only) where you can restore all of your spell points at once (for a certain amount of gold).
The sudden scream of battle brings your party to a halt....
....will your stalwart band choose to fight or run?
Austrid

Post by Austrid »

magic_screen wrote:Hello!

Any tip?
Duotime should work regardless of where/when you are. It will speed up your regen since it stacks with daylight regen.

Keep an eye out for Harmonic Gems(BT3 only), they do a full regen when you use them, although you might want to save them for long dungeons. (i.e. Kinestia)
Shaman

Post by Shaman »

Hello!

I'm new of this forum but not in the game. I've played Thief of Fate when it was released and I've found it some weeks ago and Im going to replay this wonderful game.

I've the same problem with spell points. The tune seems to work only outside so when I'm in the dungeon I'm often very short on SP.

PS - Im playing DOS version.
Shaman

Post by Shaman »

Austrid wrote:
magic_screen wrote:Duotime should work regardless of where/when you are. It will speed up your regen since it stacks with daylight regen.
Maybe it's a bug of the DOS version or a problem with the emulator DOSBOX? If i stay with Duotime playing in night time SP does NOT regen!

:?
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

Just tested the Commodore 64 version of The Destiny Knight, where the Rhyme of Duotime does *not* regenerate spellpoints at night, nor does it in the dungeons. It seems to multiply the base rate x2, so make regeneration faster during the day. I'll test spell zones soon.

Yeah it works (again in bt2) in regeneration zones too, but anywhere else in the dungeon it doesn't give spellpoints at all. I'll try bt3 tomorrow. I think it's probably just intended as a multiplier, which is as the manual suggests.
----

Okay, in C64 BT3, the Rhyme of Duotime definitely works differently than in C64 BT2. As suggested by others it increases spell regeneration rates:

* During the day in cities and outside (eg Arboria & the basic world)
* During the night in cities and outside
* In (at least Valerian's Tower) dungeons

Thus it stacks with spell regeneration items, giving 2sp per tick with a spell regen item, and the song, during the night, or 2sp per tick during the day with the song, or 3sp per tick during the day, with a magic regen item and the song.

I think most play the DOS version, so I'm not sure where you encountered different behavior.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

other ways to get more SP are:
* equip a mage staff (1sp per combat turn)
* additionally(!) have a conjuror staff in your inventory to reduce spell costs by halve. you dont have to equip it, so can you a mage staff, too.

on my c64 version, an oscons staff gave 2sp/turn and i therefore replaced my mage staff.
but oscons staff seems not to work on my msdos version.
DeCasale

Post by DeCasale »

These harmonic gems ... how rare are they? I´m at Gelidia and almost wasted all of them - and never find one after a fight.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I do believe they're about as rare as bad drivers - they're everywhere. :?