what version did you play?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
wormonger

what version did you play?

Post by wormonger »

So who played what version?

I played through all 3 on the Apple II... which seems to be one of the more difficult versions to start in (less lvl 1 hitpoints than some of the later versions). Fortunately (at the time), my friend tried transferring some of his characters from Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord... and one of the characters that actually transferred well was a fairly powerful spellcaster. So the both of us were able to start relatively easily.

I later repaid the favor when I transferred to him my Monk. He had gone with some other character class in the #3 slot... and when he saw the amazing killing ability of my Monk, he got a copy of that character really quickly.

(Currently re-running the Apple II version in Mac OS 10.2 via the OSXII emulator)
DedRob

Post by DedRob »

hi, i played all three of the bard's tale on the Amiga and bt1 on the zx spectrum,and c64, although i was unable to finish the destiny knight ,as the seven statues would not come to life a fight me when i examined them, so i just carried on as far as i could without fighting them. so in the end of it i only had 2 or 3 segments of the wond missing :cry: . nevermind as i hope to beable to complete it now that i have found all three games to play on the pc :D :lol:
Thou art in the Guild of Adventurers!

DedRob
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Post by Brian the Fist »

At first I played BT1 and BT2 on the Commodore 64 (many years ago in the 80s). When I got my Amiga I played both parts again followed by BT3. Almost a decade later I replayed BT1 and BT2 (the Amiga version) using a emulator for my PC.
The sudden scream of battle brings your party to a halt....
....will your stalwart band choose to fight or run?
Austrid

Post by Austrid »

I played all three on my C64, which is is still in working condition :P
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

I had all 3 BT games on an Apple IIe originally. Then got the DOS versions. Also have been playing the old apple versions recently with an apple emulator.
ssfsx17

Post by ssfsx17 »

I got my start by playing both Apple versions, the IIe and the IIGS. The IIe character disk had twinked-out characters from when my older brothers were hex-editing their characters while the IIGS version had nice music. At the time, I was still learning how to read, so you can just imagine how far I got.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Austrid wrote:I played all three on my C64, which is is still in working condition :P
Playing this version as well using Vice Emulator. For some reason I like this version best, most likey because it's what I started with.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Greetings

I used to play "Tales of the Unkown" on an Atari 512STE.

Since "Destiny Knight" and "Thief of Fate" never made it to the Atari System, i've been running
'em both on an old C64 (nicknamed Breadbox, or rather "Brotkasten" using the german term)
i had bought on a fleamarket for a handfull of spare change ;).

Needless to say that the ST graphics looked a bit better :D

For some reasons, i never finished BT2-DK thought, a grave mistake that
i'll soon look to correct - thanks to the download section of this wonderful website ;)

Bye
Hawk
... Quoth the raven: "Nevermore."
E. A. Poe - The Raven

Sorry folks, but all the horses have been eaten by creatues.
The Bards Tale - A. D. 1986
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Hi,

I have just finished the Atari ST version of BT I (more than 20 years after my first play, on my old C64).

And I'm about to try 'Destiny Knight' on the Amiga version.
Is the PC version better ?

Wyvern
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Post by Brian the Fist »

I think that the Amiga version is much better than the PC version.
The sudden scream of battle brings your party to a halt....
....will your stalwart band choose to fight or run?
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Thanks for answering, Brian. I will go for the Amiga version.
Iyaesuyori

Version

Post by Iyaesuyori »

I played BT I - II - III on my trusty old commodore 64. Even in todays seemingly new and modern world I still keep 4 around in prestine condition for days I feel like jumping headlong into nostalgia. :lol:
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Just finishing up Bard's Tale I on my C64 emulator.

I like the dark look on the C64 version the most for some reason.

That being said, the amiga version definitely has better graphics.

Im having trouble deciding what version of Bards' Tale II to play, the amiga or stick with C64.

I thought I heard someone say the dungeon tiles\templates were more varied in the amiga version.

Anyone know what the differences betweens the versions are?

Does the amiga have more varied environments than on C64? How about monsters animations? Does the amiga have animated monsters like the C64 does?
Banky

Post by Banky »

I played BT1+2 on Amiga in the 80s and BT3 on C64 when it was released.
I just replayed all parts on emulators, BT1+2 via DosBox and BT3 on CCS64.
Such great games, still so much fun to play.
Brian the Fist wrote:Almost a decade later I replayed BT1 and BT2 (the Amiga version) using a emulator for my PC.
Hey Brian and all Amiga players out there! I'm currently playing BT1 on WinUAE. Could it be that the warrior class is broken? Lvl 15 and still no multiple attacks while my Paladin swings 4 times each hit. Too bad I got two warrirors because they seemed the best fighters in the MS Dos version.
Fortunately, the game is built around spell power and fire horns ;)
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Yes, the Amiga version you're playing is bugged. The Amiga version is the very first of the many 16-bit versions of Tales of the Unknown, and the team they hired kind of blew it.

There's another, later Amiga version with different bugs, but it's even worse.

I just completed this version of BT1 using WinUAE, and the thread at Lemon Amiga (link below) contains the details of the bug, and at the end, a workaround if you're comfortable with hacking your character disk.

Currently Playing Bards Tale Part 1

The simplest workaround is to just (with regrets) not use warriors. Note that that bards got extra attacks by mistake, so it makes it easy to roll with three spell casters.

I recommend playing a different version (Apple ][ or C64 preferably). The Amiga version wasn't worth the trouble.
Death and drek? WTF?