what version did you play?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Banky

Post by Banky »

Hello Horpner,
I've discovered that thread two weeks ago and already posted in it :)
It really yields some valuable informations concerning the Amiga version of BT1.

Despite the bugs I have to admit that I like the Amiga version best of all due to the graphics and the music.
I remember spending hours with my brother infront of the Amiga, creating the perfect characters while listening to the tunes in the Adventurer'S Guild of BT1+2.
Listening to that music again after more than 20 years brought tears of joy to my eyes ;-)
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

The C64 version of Destiny Knight on this site seems to have a traps bug. Traps never affect your party at all. This crack version with the hit point trainer made by scratch\triangle is the only workning version I can find on the net and none of them work.

Anyone know where to find another version of Destiny Knight for the C64?
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Hey Saxon1974,

I'm going to have to play some of the C64 versions. At least they have most or maybe all of the monster pictures displaying correctly as opposed to the Apple IIe versions where there are so many incorrectly displaying images of monster pics. I posted some links to places where the C64 versions of BT2 can be downloaded on one of your threads in the BT2 section.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I have always stood by the Commodore 64 versions of all 3 games throughout the ages.
Quantum Reality

Post by Quantum Reality »

Played the Apple ][ version on a //c way back, later a //gs, am replaying today with AppleWin. :D 8)
DMan

Post by DMan »

ZX Spectrum version back in the day, and the DOS versions from Ultimate RPG archives more recently.
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

DMan wrote:ZX Spectrum version back in the day, and the DOS versions from Ultimate RPG archives more recently.
Commodore 64 for all three games, back in the day.

More recently, I fired up several emulators to relive the glory. The best version of BT1 is, IMHO, the Apple IIgs. However, the IIgs never got BT3, so for a full play-through, your choices are more limited. I can't stand the Amiga version, and the C-64 version of BT1 is painfully hard compared to other systems - lower starting health and lower stats for characters means much more tedious grinding to get your characters strong enough to advance. I have reluctantly decided to play the PC version in DosBox, in spite of the awful sound. The fan patch of BT3 sounds like it fixes almost all of the major issues that made the PC version so terrible in its original release.