Virtual Floppy Disk & DosBox

Discussions about running Bard's Tale under an emulator

Gethsah

Virtual Floppy Disk & DosBox

Post by Gethsah »

Hiya,

I played all the Bard's Tale many moons ago on a C64 & ages ago out of nostalgia I bought something called 'The Ultimate RPG Archives' which contained all 3 Bard's Tales. Anyway, finding myself laid up for a bit I loaded DosBox onto my Windows XP laptop & can report that BT1 & BT2 work fine under DosBox. Have yet to try BT3, but do not anticipate any hassles.

When it came to BT2, I was a little flummoxed as to how to transfer my BT1 characters as who has a floppy drive these days? To the rescue came Virtual Floppy Drive which works a treat - I imagine this utility would be useful for other olde games as well. I copied across the BT1 files mentioned in COPYCHAR.BAT:

Code: Select all

copy items.srt b:items
copy *.tpw b:
to the virtual floppy & then loaded them into BT2 - sadly many of my hard-won items were "missing" presumed too natty for lowly BT2 characters.

I hope this helps someone & I'm back to the hacking & slashing.
toper

Post by toper »

Thought this topic could use a major update, as DOSBox can do this all by itself without 3rd party software.

1) Create a folder on your harddrive (I just named mine 'floppy')
2) Edit Doxbox.conf at the bottom of the file in the autoexec section add the line:

mount a c:\floppy -freesize 1.14

*BE SURE TO CHANGE THE 'c:\floppy' part to what ever folder you created

3) copy your *.TPW files to that folder
4) Fire up DOSBox
5) In any of the sequels, just tell it to search drive A:

**NOTE I have the file size of the floppy set to 1.14MB because another game I play complains about finding a 230Mb floppy disk (the default freespace of any drive created in DOSBox). The FreeSpace reported in DOSBox means nothing to DOSBox itself (or to your OS), you can have Gig's of items stored in your floppy directory, it'll always display the same amount of freespace (As of DOSBox 0.74 anyway).
tpth

Post by tpth »

If you're gonna run the PC version you should def use the fixed version that's floating round these forums - it fixes a lot of the shittiness of the DOS port
toper

Post by toper »

Ooh... I'll have to look for the link!
toper

Post by toper »

tpth wrote:If you're gonna run the PC version you should def use the fixed version that's floating round these forums - it fixes a lot of the shittiness of the DOS port
Does anyone know where the link to this is? I've been doing some random searching and reading of the forums looking for it. Thought I would give it a try, see if there is an improvement.
tpth

Post by tpth »

This thread should have what you're after

http://bardstale.brotherhood.de/talefil ... c&start=30