Bard's Tale II animated pics

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
dragonbait

Bard's Tale II animated pics

Post by dragonbait »

the dealer, the lizardman, and the bugman from the Apple II version
Last edited by dragonbait on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Attendance drops at the Vroom Temple. Wha? Where'd everyone go?? :lol:
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

How about this? Vroom Temple....frozen in time.

No animation though. I guess I could have enlarged a few more with the eye in different directions + put each through the same filter, then animate them. Oh well too late. Maybe next time.
Last edited by dragonbait on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iyaesuyori

Animated pics

Post by Iyaesuyori »

Any chance you guys have a pile of those from bt1-2-3 so i can use them in the btcs game i am creating for monsters & specials? They would be much appreciated. I really like BT3 animations because they are fancier. the BTCS pics are very nice but I do not know how much time people may have spent making similar once with the newest versions of dpain and animator...
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

I asked this question in the Bards Tale I forum but I will ask it again here since it was really a question for Bards Tale II.

Does the Amiga version have animated monsters pics like those above?

Also, is the Amiga version more varied in environments\dungeons tiles and such than the C64 version?
Chaney

BTCS

Post by Chaney »

Iyaesuyori,
What sort of adventure are you creating with the btcs?
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
Iyaesuyori

BTCS Module

Post by Iyaesuyori »

It is based off an AD&D campaign I have ran over the years. Very deep in character building and stories + a richness of area, monsters & dungeons. I am adapting the material over slowly but surely. I have also begun to snoop around at some of the other game creation tools out there and am considering changing my final product but I am still unsure. BTCS keeps it simple, but some systems were designed specifically for the AD&D game... If you like classic gary gygax sword & sorcery with a clash of culture from the east, middle east and west then it would be up your alley.

If you know anything about spelljamming & planescape or read any michael morcock (especially any elric books) it involves lots of travel. I wish they had incorporated chronomancer from BTIII and adaptable spells for planar travel but I am gussing I can create tailored spells and special squares for doing the same thing.

Thats the lowdown!
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

Love the AD&D stuff as well. They made a user mod creator for the gold box games called FRUA. It is abandonware now, so it is free. It is found many places on the net, and would already have the AD&D rules and spells etc. I love Michael Moorcock, especially Elric. The FRUA engine is supposed to be pretty user friendly for creating user mod games. I don't have much creativity in me, so have never attempted it, but there are quite a few out there, and they have proven to be quite fun.
ssfsx17

Post by ssfsx17 »

dragonbait wrote:Attendance drops at the Vroom Temple. Wha? Where'd everyone go?? :lol:
They felt very uncomfortable when they used the place's restrooms and bedrooms, as there was little privacy.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
dragonbait

Re: Animated pics

Post by dragonbait »

Last edited by dragonbait on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Saxon1974 wrote:I asked this question in the Bards Tale I forum but I will ask it again here since it was really a question for Bards Tale II.

Also, is the Amiga version more varied in environments\dungeons tiles and such than the C64 version?
I haven't played the Amiga version yet though I do have the Amiga emulator set up so it's on my list of things to do. I would assume that they do have animations in the Amiga version, though the graphics would probably be more similar pixelwise to the Apple IIGS or DOS versions rather than the Apple IIe and C64 versions.

EDIT: OK. I've played a little bit of the Amiga version of Bard's Tale II. It is almost identical to the Apple IIGS version. Differences that I've noticed include the text area appears in yellow color for Amiga and white for IIGS. The Amiga is Mouse based, and has the best sound. Though when you enter the tavern music does not play as it does in the IIGS version. Character names display in all capital letters.
Iyaesuyori

Post by Iyaesuyori »

Chaney wrote:Love the AD&D stuff as well. They made a user mod creator for the gold box games called FRUA. It is abandonware now, so it is free. It is found many places on the net, and would already have the AD&D rules and spells etc. I love Michael Moorcock, especially Elric. The FRUA engine is supposed to be pretty user friendly for creating user mod games. I don't have much creativity in me, so have never attempted it, but there are quite a few out there, and they have proven to be quite fun.
Thanks alot for the FRUA / UA information. I downloaded everything I could find. I absolutely loved the gold box games and how they played, much better than the BTCS I have been working on and off over the past year... Kind of a dissapointment BTCS has its major shortfalls. I find FRUA has a lot more support and also is based on the system I love the most as a game master in RL / face-to-face gaming. I think I am going that route (now I have tons of work to do all over again, lmao)... but again, thanks a ton I love the FRUA system!!! Once I am done with it I will post up links / info / maps / spells / etc. Could be a long time but hey.... I am in it for the long haul out of nostalgia!
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

Keep us posted-always looking for something old school. I play the FRUQ user mod stuff all the time. I highly recommend the Ray Dyer Reals series. There are a lot of them, and they connect from one to the next in various sectors of the realms.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

dragonbait wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:I asked this question in the Bards Tale I forum but I will ask it again here since it was really a question for Bards Tale II.

I haven't played the Amiga version yet though I do have the Amiga emulator set up so it's on my list of things to do. I would assume that they do have animations in the Amiga version, though the graphics would probably be more similar pixelwise to the Apple IIGS or DOS versions rather than the Apple IIe and C64 versions.

EDIT: OK. I've played a little bit of the Amiga version of Bard's Tale II. It is almost identical to the Apple IIGS version. Differences that I've noticed include the text area appears in yellow color for Amiga and white for IIGS. The Amiga is Mouse based, and has the best sound. Though when you enter the tavern music does not play as it does in the IIGS version. Character names display in all capital letters.
Cool thanks for the feedback, I check in here every once in a while. I still have my playthrough of BTII on my list...

In the C64 version, I know some of the areas in the dungeons\towers etc.. Have a different look to them. All of the Amiga screens I have seen just have the same green walls for all the dungeon\tower areas.

Basically I want to play the game with the most variety in sights and sounds. The Amiga graphics are obviously better, but if the C64 has more varied environments I would rather play that.

If you get into any of the dungeons\towers in the Amiga version, let me know what you think about this.

Cheers!
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Ok, an update as to whether the amiga versions dungeons have different graphics....

It appears the answer is "no"

If you look at this link, there is a slide shows of animated screenshots near the bottom of this page. If you watch it for a while you will see screens from the Tombs, The Castle and some other dungeons. All of them have the same green walls with skulls.

http://bardstale.poverellomedia.com/the ... story.html

The C64 version does have different graphic sets for the different dungeons. Kind of dissapointing because I wanted to play the Amiga version, but based on that im playing the C64 version.

So just in case anyone is interested in this, there is the answer.

How do I take an animated screenshot by the way?

Cheers all.