The encounter rate is INSANE!!!

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
ssfsx17

The encounter rate is INSANE!!!

Post by ssfsx17 »

So here I was, thinking I could just blow through the Catacombs and learn the CHAOS keyword. Then I started getting a random battle every... two... steps... including turning around... ARGGGGGHHHHHHH

(You may have noticed that I'm playing the DOS version)

How do I keep these guys off of me? Speedboots don't help because getting into a battle in the first place already breaks my concentration.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

If I remember correctly there's a bard song that helps either with stopping most random attacks or helps with running away. Other than that, shout in your best bloodcurtling voice..."Give Me Blood Men!" and fight it out.
ssfsx17

Post by ssfsx17 »

dragonbait wrote:Other than that, shout in your best bloodcurtling voice..."Give Me Blood Men!" and fight it out.
That's more of a Bard's Tale 2 saying, with the Conan-esque vibe and all. I've decided to just speak the battle intro messages out loud, like "Oh no, not again! Where do these guys come from?"
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

ssfsx17 wrote:
dragonbait wrote:Other than that, shout in your best bloodcurtling voice..."Give Me Blood Men!" and fight it out.
That's more of a Bard's Tale 2 saying, with the Conan-esque vibe and all. I've decided to just speak the battle intro messages out loud, like "Oh no, not again! Where do these guys come from?"
Yeah there's allot of battles all right. If it's really gettin' to ya, you could always drink up and quote some Primus!
"Grab yourself a can of pork soda
Youll be feeling just fine
Ain't nothin quite like sittin round the house
Swillin down them cans of swine"

Might help the battles be less painless. bhwahahaha! Happy fighting!
Marco

Post by Marco »

I've had this issue too. I think the ridiculous encounter rate is because you're running the game on a fast computer. I suspect MoSlo will fix this problem, but I've never gotten around to trying it.

You could also try running it under DosBox -- I'm not 100% sure, but I think DosBox has a built-in slowdown feature, because every retro game I've ever tried on it seems to run at a reasonable speed. I've never used Thief of Fate under DosBox, though.

Marco.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

I use DOSbox w/D-Fend. You can change the CPU cycles. Maybe try setting the CPU cycles down to 500. + see if it makes any difference. You can go lower if needed as well.