Bard's Tale IIGS Emulator

Discussions about running Bard's Tale under an emulator

Freakachu

Bard's Tale IIGS Emulator

Post by Freakachu »

Hello everyone. Im new here and decided to register so I could share some info. I have recently built a new computer for gaming and installed VISTA 32 Bit. I found a great II GS Emulator (KEGS) that uses Active X and runs in a small window you can get it here for free http://www.freetoolsassociation.com/ Once i installed KEGS and then downloaded the bards.2mg and character.2mg files...It was running no problem. The Free Tool site also has some other classic games (Silent Service, Dungeon Master, Out of this World, etc.) that are available for download.

Intel E8400 O/C @ 3.6
EVGA 780i
PNY 2x1GB PC 8500 1197 mhz
EVGA 8600GTS 512
2x 500 GB WD SATA RAID 0
Cooler Master ESA 1000WATT
X-FI Fatality
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Hiya Freakachu!

Just going to say here that the freetoolsassociation's AppleIIGS emulator works great and I have been using it for some time now. I would definitely recommended it to anyone interested in the IIGS versions of Bard's Tale. A nice thing about the IIGS version is the awesome image quality along with the fast playback speed.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

I think I might try this version.

How do you create a character disk? It says I need a prodos disk? Im not familiar with the Apple II GS.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

I had found a working character disk for the Apple IIGS a while back. I uploaded it to my site on the BTII page. That's what I've been using.

destiny knight IIGS with character disk
Last edited by dragonbait on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Great thanks again dragonbait!

This version is very nice! Added sound effects even, and the zip speed function is great. Only thing is the bard songs sound different but then again that is nit picking.

And can you make the emulator screen any larger?

By the way, were you involved with creating the Devil Whiskey game? I purchased it but have not played through it yet, but Im going to.

Love your set to by the way. Nice to see a person who appreciates the great games of old.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Saxon1974 wrote:Great thanks again dragonbait!

This version is very nice! Added sound effects even, and the zip speed function is great. Only thing is the bard songs sound different but then again that is nit picking.

And can you make the emulator screen any larger?

By the way, were you involved with creating the Devil Whiskey game? I purchased it but have not played through it yet, but Im going to.

Love your set to by the way. Nice to see a person who appreciates the great games of old.
I'm not sure how to make the screen larger on the Apple IIGS emulator. Doesn't look like theres an option to.
Re: The Devil Whiskey: I wasn't involved in the making of the game, but I did create one of the Mods. "The Basement". It is included in the "Devil Wiskey Megamod" Theres a link to download the Megamod from the Mod section of the DW forums, or the DW yahoo group or also at the DW page on my site.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

I just set my monitor to 800x600 resolution during play and that works perfectly.

I wonder if there is a way to take a screen shot from this emulator so I can post them.....
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

You can just hit the print screen button on your keyboard and paste the image into a paint program and crop out any unneeded portions of the screenshot.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

dragonbait wrote:You can just hit the print screen button on your keyboard and paste the image into a paint program and crop out any unneeded portions of the screenshot.
Ah, yea I guess someone who works in the computer field should have realized that :shock:
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

I think this might be the definitive version of Destiny Knight.

It even has ambient sound effects, you can hear your sword clank at it hits off the flesh of a lizardman, your characters will sigh when you heal them and doors creak when you leave a city.

Also, if you press V you can modify some settings, one of them is turn on stereo sound and it makes the music in stereo and play nicely off of 2 speakers.

And all that plus its very fast and looks better even then the Amiga version.

I think I found my favorite version of DK!@!
burgerbecky

I'm gtlad you liked it

Post by burgerbecky »

I spent a while making Bard's Tale I, II and III really nice on the IIgs. I'm glad you liked it.
Writer, programmer, and game geekette
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

Where have you been all these years? Games such as these need to be on the market more. You have the skill to design your own. Devil Whiskey was an independent, and a damn fun game. You would have a hell of a player base if you made a game similar to BT. Enough of my ramblings...Welcome aboard!
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Chaney wrote:Where have you been all these years? Games such as these need to be on the market more. You have the skill to design your own. Devil Whiskey was an independent, and a damn fun game. You would have a hell of a player base if you made a game similar to BT. Enough of my ramblings...Welcome aboard!
Copyright issues, I believe, is why The Bard's Tale name stopped where it did.
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

I don't mean Bard's Tale itself. You could use similar story lines, actions, items, etc... BTIII was actually my favorite, and that is where she was the lead. That imagination and skill could definitely put out a similar game, but new.
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Chaney wrote:I don't mean Bard's Tale itself. You could use similar story lines, actions, items, etc... BTIII was actually my favorite, and that is where she was the lead. That imagination and skill could definitely put out a similar game, but new.
Fair point.

I'm wondering if Ms. Heineman here might be willing to help us with our little side project going on here? :idea: :shock: