The best party

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
Shaman

The best party

Post by Shaman »

Which is the best party to start in ToF?
I've Wa, Pa, Hu, Ba, Co & Ma but I miss a rogue sometimes.
And what about the monk?
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

I always have a monk on my team. They make great fighters and the higher level they get, the lower their A.C. is.
Banky

Post by Banky »

For me the ultimate party is:

Paladin (later Geomancer)
Monk
Bard
Rogue
Mage (later Chronomancer)
Mage
Conjurer

You won't need a slot for NPCs, create a third Mage instead, the more casters the better.

A Rogue is essential to get that critical strike on bosses, after all the game was called on purpose Thief of Fate ;-)

The Monk has nice AC, huge attack power and an empty inventory which you can use to bring some Harmonic Gems and Death Horns with you.
Plus he can wear all those goodies that won't lower your armor class but are essential nevertheless such as Nospin Ring or Speedboots.
Last edited by Banky on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
ckdamascus

Post by ckdamascus »

Don't you sort of need a thief later on? How will you beat certain Bosses? (I don't quite remember, but doesn't Sceadu need to die from a thief?) Or maybe even tarjan (just easier, but you can prob reach him to kill him in melee).

I used to like Monks, but I actually don't think they are a good class.

AC doesn't mean "THAT" much since your bard can stack sanctuary song during battle to achieve -50.

Monks seem to get less HP.... less HP means you are more susceptible to the REAL threat, which is, spells and breath weapons.

Monks doing 2000-3000 dmg in hand to hand combat doesn't matter either. Paladin with stoneblade does "more damage" since you will stone the enemy per hit.

I suppose they are ok for inventory, but just carry less stuff. You can really get around with carrying very little as most items sort of suck or they seem really convenient, but they are just not a good use of space.

Not sure if this is the best party, but I went with
Pal (Geo)
Pal
Rogue
Bard
Mage
Mage
Conj (later Chrono)
ckdamascus

Post by ckdamascus »

Actually, I'm curious on what is the best END GAME party? (or most fun/imbalanced)

All archmages (+ rogue, + bard)?
Or, has anyone tried multiple bards? Do their songs stack in combat? (+4 bards, +1 rogue, +2 archmages)?
ssfsx17

Post by ssfsx17 »

My personal favorite:

Paladin (Geomancer)
Hunter
Bard
Rogue
Archmage
Archmage
Chronomancer

Paladins survive instant-death attacks slightly better than Monks. The Hunter is almost guaranteed to get a kill every round in melee, saving the mages some SP. The Bard, Rogue, and mages are of course essentially required. In fact, I'd say that a party for BT3 basically only has two flexible slots at the front.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I always found that having 4 rogues in the first 4 slots made for a pretty much invincible party.

Invincible when it came to non-ranged attacks, anyways. :?
tpth

Post by tpth »

Huh, wow, I never thought of doing that. It'd be hard to keep 'em alive at the start of the game, but yeah, once they could Hide in Shadows pretty much every round, no-one'd ever lay a glove on you.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

tpth wrote:Huh, wow, I never thought of doing that. It'd be hard to keep 'em alive at the start of the game, but yeah, once they could Hide in Shadows pretty much every round, no-one'd ever lay a glove on you.
I had a Bard, Archmage, and Chronomancer to keep them alive (or more specifically, the Archmage casting "HEAL" to bring them back to life...).
Ether

Post by Ether »

I usually had:
Paladin/Geomancer
hunter
monk
bard
rogue
archmage
chronomancer

The monk will kill everything until Tarmitia. The Hunter just kills everything. well, except Sceadu and Werra. I only was ever able to kill them with the Rogue.

The one time I tried to kill Tarjan with someone other than the Rogue, my monk pummeled him into oblivion.

Unlike the first 2 BT games, you definitely want a rogue in this one.
Masselino

Post by Masselino »

The best endbattle-team is:
1. Geomancer / Paladin
2. Rogue
3. Bard
4. Archmage
5. Archmage
6. Archmage
7. Chronomancer

In endgame-battle it´s not very smart to fight with weapons like strifespear, stoneblade or something else. You have to keep the bastards away from you and kill them by spells. The rogue is your ticket to tarjan´s execution. The "rock" & "fade"-spell and deathhorns are great to get rid of solo enemies and smaller groups. For bigger groups 3 times in one round "nuke" will be their end or "eama" for repelling enemy groups. Once in battle you should let your bard have a tune and an archmage cast "diva" to rise your ac to the max. Another archmage cast a "prec"-spell to make sure there will nobody join in battle with madgod tarjan. The hunter and monk are pretty good for the first steps in game, but they do only lower damage and are quite useless for bigger groups with one-hit-kill-abilities. The only nasty thing about my group is the huge amount of crystalgems they need.

Funfact
You can have mad god Tarjan in your group if you have an empty party slot. SPBI can do it in the last fight of the game. You don't have to beat him up and if you get rid of all his groups you can enjoy end sequence of the game.
Last edited by Masselino on Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don´t discriminate! I hate everyone!
wefuntw

Post by wefuntw »

ssfsx17 wrote:My personal favorite:

Paladin (Geomancer)
Hunter
Bard
Rogue
Archmage
Archmage
Chronomancer

Paladins survive instant-death attacks slightly better than Monks. The Hunter is almost guaranteed to get a kill every round in melee, saving the mages some SP. The Bard, Rogue, and mages are of course essentially required. In fact, I'd say that a party for BT3 basically only has two flexible slots at the front.

I always left a single empty slot for NPCs, in BT3 random creatures join your party very often, it's fun to see how they do in party sometimes, plus you can see their hit points once they join, providing info.

Plus, some NPCs with plot offer to join your party sometimes, though it is not necessary, but it is nice to have heroic companions.

Also, there are some powerful figurines around, how about archmage cast MAMA from time to time? or a familiar to heal your party every round? Magic point is hard to regain in BT3, to have free casters is very nice, saving tons of harmonic gems.
Mordred

Re: The best party

Post by Mordred »

as far as i remember:

you need a bard to solve a riddle somewhere (play a special bard song)

a rogue helps with some hard boss fights, but you can do this fights without him. but you definitely need him to use an item in malefia.
(i played for weeks without a rogue and managed to defeat all bosses, only to find out i need the rogue on the last map in the lastdimension to use an item...)

archmage and chronomancer are obligatory, too, because you need their spells somewhere, even if manage to win fights somehow without them.