Bard's Quest

Discussions and help for the Bard's Tale Construction Set
Chaney

Bard's Quest

Post by Chaney »

Does anyone know if they actually made the 2nd and 3rd parts to this, that are promised in the word document?
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Bard's Quest? Are you refering to Bard's Lore? If so Bard's Lore II is available on this site.
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

No. Bard's Quest came with the construction set. In the word doc, it says
R E G I S T R A T I O N
-------------------------

If you like the Bard's Quest or play it often, please register it. For $5.00, you get: the latest version of the Bard's Quest I, the Bard's Quest II: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and ClueBooks for Bard's Quest I & II. For $10.00, you get: all of the above, FREE monthly updates for 12 months, complete maps for Bard's Quest I & II,and a special BONUS: The Bard's Quest III: Dungeons of Darkness!And when you register, you get complete customer & technical support for free! It's a great deal, so register! Print ORDER.FRM for the order form.

This is a cut and paste from the actual word document.
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

Correction-it did not come with the construction set. It was done by ALEX GHADAKSAZ under VISIONSOFT.
remma

Post by remma »

Apologies for necroposting, I only came across these forums recently.
I'd never heard of this btcs series before I found part 1 for download at
http://www.doperoms.co.uk/roms/dos/The% ... 9.zip.html
couldn't find anything on parts 2 or 3 however
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

I tried the link and it doesn't work. What part 1 are you referring to? Part 1 of btcs, or some of the home brewed games
remma

Post by remma »

Hmmm, odd just clicked through there and the link works fine for me.
It's part 1 of the Bards Quest homebrew series.
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

Maybe it is a local issue. Here is a link to the zip file.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/m14h2dxjnto/BQ.zip
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

Well, I just finished Bard's Quest. It is actually really good for a home brew made with BTCS.
Rask

Post by Rask »

The Bard's Quest game was basically removed from the Adventurer's Guild archive for a very good reason - it was the default Isil Thania sample scenario that shipped with the BTCS. Mr. Alex Ghadaksz seems to have tried to cash in by passing it off as his own work.

All I can say is that I hope he was young when he did that, because it is really pathetic.
Magister

Post by Magister »

Rask wrote:The Bard's Quest game was basically removed from the Adventurer's Guild archive for a very good reason - it was the default Isil Thania sample scenario that shipped with the BTCS. Mr. Alex Ghadaksz seems to have tried to cash in by passing it off as his own work.
The Bard's Quest was never on the Adventurers' Guild archive to begin with. Only The Bard's Lore has been available on the BTCS page and that is the only homebrew BTCS game that has ever been available on that page.

The Bard's Quest is definitely a different game from the default adventure based on a simple cursory comparison of level maps from both games. The two sequels were previously available on another ROM site ages ago and also featured unique levels.
Rask wrote: All I can say is that I hope he was young when he did that, because it is really pathetic.
What's pathetic is someone such as yourself posting lame allegations and name calling about someone who made a homebrew game back in the early 1990s. Get a life.
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Magister wrote:The Bard's Quest is definitely a different game from the default adventure based on a simple cursory comparison of level maps from both games. The two sequels were previously available on another ROM site ages ago and also featured unique levels.
I have never seen the two sequels. I don't remember if I had gotten BQ from the above links when they were still active or not. The copy I did get was the sample game with only minor changes. If you have a different one, I'd love to take a look at it and the two sequels.
Chaney

Link for Bard's Quest I

Post by Chaney »

I have uploaded this to a site. You may compare them when you like.
http://www.filedropper.com/bardsquestisilthania
Magister

Post by Magister »

dulsi wrote:
Magister wrote:The Bard's Quest is definitely a different game from the default adventure based on a simple cursory comparison of level maps from both games. The two sequels were previously available on another ROM site ages ago and also featured unique levels.
I have never seen the two sequels. I don't remember if I had gotten BQ from the above links when they were still active or not. The copy I did get was the sample game with only minor changes. If you have a different one, I'd love to take a look at it and the two sequels.
I believe I still have the original floppies I bought through the Maynard BBS back around 93/94. I'll see if I can dig them up.
Rask

Post by Rask »

Magister wrote:
Rask wrote:The Bard's Quest game was basically removed from the Adventurer's Guild archive for a very good reason - it was the default Isil Thania sample scenario that shipped with the BTCS. Mr. Alex Ghadaksz seems to have tried to cash in by passing it off as his own work.
The Bard's Quest was never on the Adventurers' Guild archive to begin with. Only The Bard's Lore has been available on the BTCS page and that is the only homebrew BTCS game that has ever been available on that page.

The Bard's Quest is definitely a different game from the default adventure based on a simple cursory comparison of level maps from both games. The two sequels were previously available on another ROM site ages ago and also featured unique levels.
Rask wrote: All I can say is that I hope he was young when he did that, because it is really pathetic.
What's pathetic is someone such as yourself posting lame allegations and name calling about someone who made a homebrew game back in the early 1990s. Get a life.
I have no idea why you're reacting so defensively about this. But take a second look, and unless you happen to have a radically different copy than the one I had, it is nearly identical.

For example, the Bard's quest document says:

I N T R O D U C T I O N
-------------------------

Welcome to the wonderful world of The Bards Quest! Loosely
based on the Bards Tale series, The Bards Quest brings you
the ultimate role-playing experience! Travel to the world
of Isil Thania and unravel the mysterious legend of the
Star Light Cult. From the crowded streets of Isil Thania to
the dark dungeons, you'll be having a great time adventuring
the vast world of The Bard's Quest. The Bard's Quest features
VGA 256-colors, SoundBlaster/AdLib sound card support, mouse
support, and more! Please read the rest of this manual to
insure better game play. If you like the Bard's Quest, please
register it to get the latest version of Bard's Quest, the
Bard's Quest II, ClueBooks for both games, PLUS a special
bonus: The Bard's Quest III: Dungeons of Darkness! Print out
ORDER.FRM for the order form.

----

Yes, there were minor changes. If memory serves, the Castle was renamed "Jim's Castle," but that's pretty much it. This wasn't parody or inspiration, this was plagiarism.

EDIT:

Also, the Bard's Quest was hosted on the Adventurer's Guild archive back when it was still at http://www.yoda.com/~cowgod/

But it was removed for being a plagiarized game.