Traps bug?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Saxon1974

Traps bug?

Post by Saxon1974 »

It appears that traps don't affect my party at all.

Im playing the C64 version of the game.

When I hit a trap, it gives a message that I hit one, but no one seems to have any affect. Does anyone else have this issue? Is this a bug maybe?
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

It's actually pretty hard to get nailed by a trap. First, if you're lucky enough, you'll walk right over it without even noticing.

Then, if you do set one off, powerful characters are apt to just shrug it off.

The Amiga version of BT1 has broken SESI and SOSI, which don't detect traps. It didn't turn out to be a disadvantage, 'cause I could walk right into pretty much any trap and barely got inconvenienced.
Death and drek? WTF?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Hmm, maybe your right. I will have to do some testing when I get home.

It seems like my party doesn't get affected at all though.

It will say something like "Trap! You have hit a warspike!" and none of my party loses a single HP. That doesn't sound right does it?

My party is around level 15, is it possible they can walk into traps and not be affected at all? If so, that makes traps pretty useless in the game.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

I did some testing tonight and it appears that the version and a few other versions I found on the net dont work right for traps.

I found and tried about 3 versions and went to step on a trap square with the beginning ATEAM and all 3 C64 versions did zero damage to my party.

I loaded up the DOS version of the game and it worked normally.

Dang, now I gotta hunt down a working C64 version.

Edit Post:

This crack version of Destiny Knight on this site with the hit point trainer made by scratch\triangle is the only working version I can find on the net and none of them work as far as traps go.

Anyone know where to find another version of Destiny Knight for the C64?
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Hiya Saxon1974,

You might want to try...

http://www.c64games.com/
http://arnold.c64.org/

They both have BT2 for the C64 available for download. I haven't tested them out so I don't know if the traps work correctly or not. Also another thought that it might not be the game files in question. Maybe perhaps the C64 emulator itself might not be handling the traps effectively.

I know the Apple IIe emulator isn't correctly displaying some of the monster pics. Or maybe its the game files. Who knows. I tend to think that its probably more of an emulator issue.

If you do find that a particular C64 game file accurately uses traps then please do let us know where you got them from or make them available here. Thanks.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

dragonbait wrote:Hiya Saxon1974,

You might want to try...

http://www.c64games.com/
http://arnold.c64.org/

They both have BT2 for the C64 available for download. I haven't tested them out so I don't know if the traps work correctly or not. Also another thought that it might not be the game files in question. Maybe perhaps the C64 emulator itself might not be handling the traps effectively.

I know the Apple IIe emulator isn't correctly displaying some of the monster pics. Or maybe its the game files. Who knows. I tend to think that its probably more of an emulator issue.

If you do find that a particular C64 game file accurately uses traps then please do let us know where you got them from or make them available here. Thanks.
I Tried those versions already to the same effect. I tried running the game using CCS64 instead of Winvice and it behaves the same way. Actually, I hadn't noticed this before, but the traps actually drain a couple of spell points but nothing else. Gas trap, basilisk trap, spike trap, all of them only drain maybe 2 spell points and thats it.

Could the crack version have anything to do with it? Every version I have been able to find on the net seems to be the same crack version which leads me to believe they are all the same disk version.

I have the original C64 disks, but i dont have a real C64 and even if I did I don't know how I would get it copied to my PC.

I will keep poking around in the hopes of finding a different version of this game.

It's playable but I really don't like to play a game with something not working.
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Try the following page, and use the Originaldisk link, on the right, instead of the Diskette link.

Bard's Tale 2 at c64games

I've downloaded it and booted it up, and it works with no trainer, and as a sweet bonus the Character Disk seems completely original, too. I managed to find a minimally hacked character disk elsewhere, but this is the first one I found with the *ATEAM completely intact.

You need an emulator that can run .g64 files, though. I'm using Vice on Debian Stitch, and it works fine. Unfortunately, the Dark Domain has no traps in it, as far as In know, so I can't test them.
Death and drek? WTF?
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Yeah, its nice to see a version that is unaltered. You get that nice ECA image that changes colors at the beginning just like the old days. & its just the main characters here. Sweet!
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Wow, very cool Horpner! I have searched everywhere for an original image without the trainer!

Im at work now, but I will try and test the trap function when I get home.

There is a trap on the second level of the trainer dungeon a bit south of the room with the medusa I believe.

CheerS!
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Its possible that the traps that are in the dark domain (starter dungeon) were meant to go easy on adventurers and may only damage the party on occasion. I took a video of the Dark Domain a little while ago while using the Apple IIGS version. If you view the video below notice that at 1:33 I hit a tripwire which causes several crossbows to fire at me but I take no damage so perhaps its all about the luck of the dice roll or something to that effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2-TG9b ... annel_page

Traps do work elsewhere in the Dark Domain Apple IIGS version as I hit one while bringing the Princess back with me on level 4. She died from the trap.

Haven't had a chance to test out the C64 version for traps yet.
Last edited by dragonbait on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

dragonbait wrote:Its possible that the traps that are in the dark domain (trainer dungeon) were meant to go easy on adventurers and may only damage the party on occasion. I took a video of the Dark Domain a little while ago while using the Apple IIGS version. If you view the video below notice that at 1:33 I hit a tripwire which causes several crossbows to fire at me but I take no damage so perhaps its all about the luck of the dice roll or something to that effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2-TG9b ... annel_page

Traps do work elsewhere in the Dark Domain Apple IIGS version as I hit one while bringing the Princess back with me on level 4. She died from the trap.

Haven't had a chance to test out the C64 version for traps yet.
Interesting, ok I am going to do some testing with the C64 tonight.

The APPLE IIGS has an automap? I didn't think any BTII's had one.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Saxon1974 wrote:The APPLE IIGS has an automap? I didn't think any BTII's had one.
Pretty cool huh? I think its the only version of BTII that has one. You click Shift+?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Ok, nope this version doesn't work for traps either, I have no idea why.

I went to the tombs and Fanskars and walk over some traps witht his version and nothing on any of them. The screen flashes sometimes but nothing at all to my party.

I tried with both CCS64 and Vice and same result.

I cant believe it was released like that, thats a pretty huge bug so maybe the way the emulators work is causing it.

Dang, I dont wanna play the PC version but that is the only one I can play using a trainer so I dont have to start over again with new characters.

Sad, I really wanna play the C64 version :cry:

Guess its time to play Thief of Fate. Hopefully the C64 version of that works fully.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Saxon1974 wrote:Ok, nope this version doesn't work for traps either, I have no idea why.

I went to the tombs and Fanskars and walk over some traps witht his version and nothing on any of them. The screen flashes sometimes but nothing at all to my party.

I cant believe it was released like that, thats a pretty huge bug so maybe the way the emulators work is causing it.

Dang, I dont wanna play the PC version but that is the only one I can play using a trainer so I dont have to start over again with new characters.

Guess its time to play Thief of Fate. Hopefully the C64 version of that works fully.
Death and Drek! That's horrible. Oh well, what can ya do. I don't remember the traps not working when I played it back in the late 80's/early 90's so I think it must be an emulator issue. I guess the only way to find out is to find a still working C64 off ebay or amazon etc. and an original BTII disk. (actually make that multiple numerous endless turn over the disks heheheh)
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

dragonbait wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:Ok, nope this version doesn't work for traps either, I have no idea why.

Death and Drek! That's horrible. Oh well, what can ya do. I don't remember the traps not working when I played it back in the late 80's/early 90's so I think it must be an emulator issue. I guess the only way to find out is to find a still working C64 off ebay or amazon etc. and an original BTII disk. (actually make that multiple numerous endless turn over the disks heheheh)
Hehe, yea and I don't have the patience to really have to swap disks out of the drive like I did back in good ole 1986. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Maybe eventually someone will come on here and give us a fix.