Fanskar's Fortress

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Horpner

Fanskar's Fortress

Post by Horpner »

This has to be the lamest of all dungeons.

It's one measly level, it has a really boring Death Snare, and it's got an annoyingly large darkness+anti-magic zone with a few spinners just for giggles. It's much too easy to stumble onto the Death Snare before finding the clues, too. I doggedly mapped out the entire horrible thing after already solving it through trial and error. A good puzzle shouldn't be solvable through trial and error.

Finally, Fanskar and Friend are ridiculous pushovers for a party transferred in from BT1.

I hope Dargoth's Tower is more fun.
Death and drek? WTF?
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Today's not my day. I finally kicked in a door in Dargoth's Tower, and ended up in a horrid little room of darkness, anti-magic, and spinners. Now I'm going to have to run forward blindly until I luckily manage to walk out. I hope there's nothing of importance hiding in this place... it's utterly impossible to navigate.

I can't find a nospen ring soon enough.
Death and drek? WTF?
Saxon1974

Re: Fanskar's Fortress

Post by Saxon1974 »

Horpner wrote:This has to be the lamest of all dungeons.

It's one measly level, it has a really boring Death Snare, and it's got an annoyingly large darkness+anti-magic zone with a few spinners just for giggles. It's much too easy to stumble onto the Death Snare before finding the clues, too. I doggedly mapped out the entire horrible thing after already solving it through trial and error. A good puzzle shouldn't be solvable through trial and error.

Finally, Fanskar and Friend are ridiculous pushovers for a party transferred in from BT1.

I hope Dargoth's Tower is more fun.
I have to agree on Fanskars Fortress, I just finished it last night myself.

I dont mind it being one level, I actually would rather have each dungeon no more than 3 levels since after a while i would like to move onto something else.

I do agree the darkness area was a huge pain to map and not worth it, and I didn't much care for the snare room. Basically you just have to reload twice or guess correctly out of the three doors.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Maybe a dumb question....But how do you enter Dargoth's Tower? I talked to the sage and he told me where to go but when I get there all I can find is a couple of locked gates. How am I supposed to open them?

Don't post any spoilers please though, a subtle hint would be better:) Will I find a way to open the gate if I explore around the city a little more?
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

To get through the gates you need a particular obviously useful item from Tales of the Unknown. In addition, on the Amiga version at least, the item must be equipped in order for it to work (equipage requirements aren't standardized across versions). The old man who sells it has an outlet somewhere in BT2 (that you could have come across already) if you didn't transfer the item in.

The dungeon design in The Destiny Knight is creating in me a bloody-minded desire to employ the cheesiest tactics I can think of. If Cranford thinks dark, anti-magic spinner are fun, I'll show him what I think is "fun".

As I remember it, I originally gave up on solving BT2 without outright cheating in the Maze of Dread, and I haven't set "foot" in this game for almost 20 years as a result. I'll be using this forum as a support group to keep me on the straight and narrow. :wink: So please forgive my kvetching.
Death and drek? WTF?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Horpner wrote:To get through the gates you need a particular obviously useful item from Tales of the Unknown. In addition, on the Amiga version at least, the item must be equipped in order for it to work (equipage requirements aren't standardized across versions). The old man who sells it has an outlet somewhere in BT2 (that you could have come across already) if you didn't transfer the item in.

The dungeon design in The Destiny Knight is creating in me a bloody-minded desire to employ the cheesiest tactics I can think of. If Cranford thinks dark, anti-magic spinner are fun, I'll show him what I think is "fun".

As I remember it, I originally gave up on solving BT2 without outright cheating in the Maze of Dread, and I haven't set "foot" in this game for almost 20 years as a result. I'll be using this forum as a support group to keep me on the straight and narrow. :wink: So please forgive my kvetching.
Ah, I do believe I have that item but I might just need to equip it. Thanks.

Dont worry about your rantings, Im playing the game too so I will be posting some of mine own..... :)