Darendor's BTI Map Set

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Darendor

Darendor's BTI Map Set

Post by Darendor »

This thread is to showcase the maps I've made for the C64 version of The Bard's Tale: Tales Of The Unknown.

Please feel free to critique and of course point out any errors or such. :shock:

TRIVIA / MAD RAMBLINGS
* While mapping Skara Brae, I noticed the two Stone Giant statues near the end of Fargoer Street. They seem to be guarding the southeast corner, but there's nothing at all there. I suspect MC may have planned to put something else there but time constraints prevented him and he left the guardians in.
* I didn't bother with putting the temple names in the legend for Skara Brae's map. Nor could I be bothered with putting in shrunken images for Kylearan's and Mangar's towers. Sue me.
* I also did not bother with noting the locations of traps in the dungeons. Why? Because they're trivial and minor and frankly the map would be nothing more than a red mass of "TR" lettering if I had.
* Spinners, Anti-Magic zones, Hitpoint loss and basically everything except for "Darkness!" and traps appear as "Something special is near...". So if you see "Sp" on the map and your Sorcerer Sight says it's a special, be warned....
* If anybody can tell me what's beyond the teleport that's guarding 5N, 18E on level 2 of Harkyn's Castle, speak. That is pretty much the ONLY unmappable area in the entire game!Subsequent hacking discovered absolutely nothing whatsoever, except for (I think) a one-way wall. How boring.
* Speaking of the Castle, it is my personal (insane?) opinion that MC forgot to make level 3 APAR/PHDO proof. Otherwise why bother with the puzzles and obstacles when all you have to do from the entry stairs on level 1 is APAR to 1N, 21E to activate the warp to Kylearan's?...
* And since we're discussing level 3 of the Castle, what is up with 17N, 4E? A "special" zone that has no function whatsoever. Another code glitch by MC? A special that was later removed only 95%? Was it there to DRIVE ME INSANE MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA TACOS HERE I COM--- er sorry.[A flag set on the "events" map marks this as a special event, but no event actually is coded for this square.]
* Contrary to popular urban myth, it IS possible to escape these so-called "Stasis" squares where you get stuck without teleporting. Kick your way through a door 250 times and you're free. In case you get stuck in Ky's tower, face NORTH before doing this or you'll find yourself having to start over from near the entry stairs.[256 times, to be precise (it's an 8 bit value)...]
* Also in Kylearan's tower, when he's through giving the party the Onyx key, it says "Kylear vanishes."; this is a typo (it repeats itself when he congratulates the party for slaying Mangar).
* There are a grand total of two (2) magic-point regeneration squares: one is on level 1 of Harkyn's Castle (in the "royal bedroom"), and the other is on level 2 of Mangar's Tower.
* Killing the keymaster will NOT give you the key.
* Mangar's Tower consists of SIX levels, not five. There are two level 4s - the "normal" one, and the one that has all the doors and walls reversed. The square you step on to trigger the change is actually a teleport square taking you to the 2nd version of level 4. If you compare maps 4A and 4B carefully, you'll notice a few walls/doors have vanished instead of switching (the door to the magic mouth that gives you the Thor figurine being one). [This was disproved as false about 18 months after being originally posted - disregard it.]
* It is very easy to miss the text telling you that your bard's music prevented the dragons from awakening. I had to slow the emulator down to 20% to get it.
* If you lower yourself back down the portal from level 5, you'll be back on level 4B, not 4A.
* Mangar's "treasure trove" doesn't actually yield any special treasure, despite it being in a 250sq ft room guarded by two black dragons...cheap Archmages...I tell ya...
* The "possession" square at 1N, 20E on level 5 of Mangar's Tower will only possess the character in rank #1. So don't put your insanely high-levelled hunter or monk there...
* I will pay $25 to whoever can tell me what is up with 8N, 10E on level 5 of Mangar's Tower. It seems to be a poorly coded teleport that runs the hard drive for no apparent reason.[It was determined that this square checked an in-game flag for Mangar's death; in which case, two Liches spawned here.]

Well, enjoy.
Last edited by Darendor on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darendor

Skara Brae

Post by Darendor »

Darendor

The Wine Cellar

Post by Darendor »

Darendor

The Sewers, Level 1

Post by Darendor »

Darendor

The Sewers, Level 2

Post by Darendor »