Bwa-hahahaha!

Any developer realated stuff
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

As usual, I can't get it to do what I demand of it to do.

Anyone know how to program C64 BASIC? I can't get the text to display properly for my program and it's REALLY PISSING ME THE 464yujyr 657ujhnb OFF!@!!@#@!#@!#!@$

I'm angry.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Could someone please tell me precisely which track and sector the first half of Mangar's Tower level 4 is located?
Marco

Post by Marco »

Now that the Mangar Mystery Square has finally been solved, any chance another big mystery of BT1 can be resolved? Specifically, what the Death Denizen is?

For years, there has been available a list of all the monsters in the game ripped out of the PC version executable file. Two of the monsters on the list were never seen in the game: the Lich and the Death Denizen. Thanks to the efforts of people around here, we now know what the Lich looks like (and where it was supposed to be encountered). The Death Denizen is still a mystery. This was monster 115 out of 127 total. Hex number 73.

If we now know what program each special square calls on, then is it possible to take a given special encounter square, and hack it so it now has you encounter a group of death denizens? Since we know the hex number corresponding to each monster (at least on the PC version, but they may not have changed it for the port), it should be easy to figure out which byte on the program corresponds to the monster, and just substitute it with whatever you choose.

So, for example, Mangar level 1, square 3N/0E has you encounter 96 Samurai (decimal #25, hex #19). We should be able to turn it into anything we want now.

Marco.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

*Darendor teleports you to Horpner's cubicle, down the hall across from the Pepsi machine*
Marco wrote:Now that the Mangar Mystery Square has finally been solved, any chance another big mystery of BT1 can be resolved? Specifically, what the Death Denizen is?

For years, there has been available a list of all the monsters in the game ripped out of the PC version executable file. Two of the monsters on the list were never seen in the game: the Lich and the Death Denizen. Thanks to the efforts of people around here, we now know what the Lich looks like (and where it was supposed to be encountered). The Death Denizen is still a mystery. This was monster 115 out of 127 total. Hex number 73.

If we now know what program each special square calls on, then is it possible to take a given special encounter square, and hack it so it now has you encounter a group of death denizens? Since we know the hex number corresponding to each monster (at least on the PC version, but they may not have changed it for the port), it should be easy to figure out which byte on the program corresponds to the monster, and just substitute it with whatever you choose.

So, for example, Mangar level 1, square 3N/0E has you encounter 96 Samurai (decimal #25, hex #19). We should be able to turn it into anything we want now.

Marco.
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Marco wrote:So, for example, Mangar level 1, square 3N/0E has you encounter 96 Samurai (decimal #25, hex #19). We should be able to turn it into anything we want now.
Try the following command in Vice's monitor:

>fd00 73 01

The you'll have to walk on all the special monster squares until you hit it.

To be more specific, I'll need to see the output of

m fd00

Then we could be sure to stick mystery monster 73 right where the Samurai are.

I don't have access to all my happy hacked characters here until Monday.

EDIT: You have to be inside the first level of Mangar's Tower for any of this to work. ;)
Death and drek? WTF?
Marco

Post by Marco »

Unfortunately, I have no happy hacked characters for the C64. Any chance someone around here can spare some?

Marco.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Marco wrote:Unfortunately, I have no happy hacked characters for the C64. Any chance someone around here can spare some?

Marco.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2273 ... f6e8ebb871
"bt1character.d64"

Load the party name "*US" and have fun.
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Well, that was easy. Excellent!

I needed to poke the 73 into memory location fd0a.

They all died ignominiously to a Flame Horn blast.

The 96 of them were worth 57344 XP (or so.)
Last edited by Horpner on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Death and drek? WTF?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

This space for rent. :?
Last edited by Darendor on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Horpner wrote:Well, that was easy. Excellent!

I needed to poke the 73 into memory location fd0a.

They all died ignominiously to a Flame Horn blast.

The 96 of them were worth 57344 XP (or so.)
Okay, since you used my special ops team to do this, I feel I'm entitled to an explanation as to how you did this.

Type slowly as I'm stupid. :?

Please. 8)
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

1. Enter Mangar's Tower

2. (In Vice) Press Alt-M to start the ML Monitor.

3. Enter the command

>fd0a 73

4. Exit the monitor.

5. Now teleport three north.
Death and drek? WTF?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Horpner wrote:1. Enter Mangar's Tower

2. (In Vice) Press Alt-M to start the ML Monitor.

3. Enter the command

>fd0a 73

4. Exit the monitor.

5. Now teleport three north.

This will be useful for when we decide to work on a monster editor module.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Okay, Darendor and Horpner, do you two have ANY idea how long I've been wondering about those three particular unknowns -- the mystery square in Mangar's Tower, the death denizens, and the liches?!! I've been wondering about that square ever since I hauled myself into the 5th level of the tower, something like 25 years ago. I've been wondering about the appearance of those two monsters ever since I figured out how to use a hex editor to peek at the monster listing some 20 years ago. As far as I'm concerned, you two are heroes.

Now, if you could just figure out what the story is with 19N/0E on Sewers level 2, and 17N/4E on Castle level 3......... :wink:

Marco.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Marco wrote:Okay, Darendor and Horpner, do you two have ANY idea how long I've been wondering about those three particular unknowns -- the mystery square in Mangar's Tower, the death denizens, and the liches?!! I've been wondering about that square ever since I hauled myself into the 5th level of the tower, something like 25 years ago. I've been wondering about the appearance of those two monsters ever since I figured out how to use a hex editor to peek at the monster listing some 20 years ago. As far as I'm concerned, you two are heroes.

Now, if you could just figure out what the story is with 19N/0E on Sewers level 2, and 17N/4E on Castle level 3......... :wink:

Marco.
Our theory, while not proven yet, is simply that these are blank specials - removed by Michael Cranford (e.g. he changed his mind about them) but he forgot to remove the flag.

Horpner seems to have the method for examining the code exactly so I suspect he'll figure it out in a day or two.