Spanner, Bolt, Lever, Nut....

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
Darendor

Spanner, Bolt, Lever, Nut....

Post by Darendor »

Anyone ever manage to figure out a use for these 4 items?
Cpt_Vodka

Post by Cpt_Vodka »

Don't remember them...

But they smell of red herring. :wink:
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Cpt_Vodka wrote:Don't remember them...

But they smell of red herring. :wink:
How can they smell of red herring if you've never heard of them? :?
Cpt_Vodka

Post by Cpt_Vodka »

I cannot remember them but those items scream of misleading. Could be that they are after all useful but my guess is no because they seem to be for some kind of machine but I can't frikken remember of such thing.

My last post wasn't ment to be a ridicule, Darendor. I hope somebody else can give us both an insight.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Cpt_Vodka wrote:I cannot remember them but those items scream of misleading. Could be that they are after all useful but my guess is no because they seem to be for some kind of machine but I can't frikken remember of such thing.

My last post wasn't ment to be a ridicule, Darendor. I hope somebody else can give us both an insight.
They might be for operating the Geomancer machine if the party slaughters Urmech.
Cpt_Vodka

Post by Cpt_Vodka »

:shock: As I don't remember even that, it's so distant in my personal history of playing the game that I've forgotten a damn lot. :shock:
zenkai

Re: Spanner, Bolt, Lever, Nut....

Post by zenkai »

I can't believe this hasn't been answered yet :D

Having a spanner, lever, bolt and nut lets you repair Urmech if you "accidentally" killed him.
Cpt_Vodka

Post by Cpt_Vodka »

:D
If that's right, cudos to you.
I don't remember a darn thing about it.
I'm not dead yet; so begone, you vile flies & maggots!
zenkai

Post by zenkai »

I dove into the textrip of Trilogy, and...

EN: Urmech
EN: Seated in a scrap-metal throne you see Urmech. His iron features seem to move like flesh, and his expression is one of sorrow.
EN: "Is this how it must end, in violence, or can we work out an accommodation?"\n\n
EN: Yes, Violence
EN: No, Accommodate
EN: "Pity, I'm afraid you give me no choice then." Attacking you is
EN: "I'm glad we could avoid a confrontation."
EN: Urmech's broken metal body rests on top of a scrap metal throne. We could fix him if we had a spanner, a lever, a nut and a bolt.
EN: \nWe have the tools to repair him. He could still be useful.
EN: Repair Urmech
EN: Leave him.
EN: Using your spanner, a lever, a bolt, a nut, and a bit of elbow grease, you manage to repair Urmech. He seems grateful for being put back together.
EN: \nUrmech doesn't look too damaged... perhaps we could repair him... We'll need a spanner, a lever, a nut and a bolt.
EN: "Ferofist created me, despite the Gods' Pact barring further creation, and through this heinous act, helped free the dark one."
EN: "But what of me? I have done no evil except to live. I have, in turn, created others of my kind to protect me - and so I will not be all alone."
EN: "The items you seek are in my inner sanctum. I have no need of them and they are yours to take."
EN: "I have discovered a type of magic I will share with you, if you are willing."
EN: "Those who wish to learn my magic should meet me at the rear of my sanctum. There I will instill this new power into your blood."
EN: With that, Urmech leaves and enters a chamber to the south.
EN: We met Urmech here. He told us his story and entered a chamber to the south.
EN: A scrap metal throne is here. There is no sign of Urmech anywhere.

I never actually attacked the poor guy on the C64, but I think it works the same on that version as well.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Huh. I always suspected that was the case, but I never investigated it for myself.
drifting

Post by drifting »

zenkai wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:26 pm I dove into the textrip of Trilogy, and...

EN: Urmech's broken metal body rests on top of a scrap metal throne. We could fix him if we had a spanner, a lever, a nut and a bolt.
EN: \nWe have the tools to repair him. He could still be useful.
EN: Repair Urmech
EN: Leave him.
EN: Using your spanner, a lever, a bolt, a nut, and a bit of elbow grease, you manage to repair Urmech. He seems grateful for being put back together.
EN: \nUrmech doesn't look too damaged... perhaps we could repair him... We'll need a spanner, a lever, a nut and a bolt.
That's interesting. In the DOS version, none of these strings exist. All that is there is "A heap of scrap metal that was once Urmech rusts on top of a scrap metal throne."
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Is it possible to repair Urmech on the DOS version?
drifting

Post by drifting »

It is not possible. That code doesn't exist in the DOS version.