Special Weapons and items?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Van Slaylin

Special Weapons and items?

Post by Van Slaylin »

Quick question...Do items like frost horn or dragonwand or dragonshield ever wear out and become non functioning???

I vaguely remember them being used up and not working...turn into broken item or something...not sure if that was from this game or not...And I kinda remember seeing a number of uses beside the item in BT2 I think...

Sorry if this was talked about before...I looked but didnt see anything...

If there is a limit to the number of uses of certain spell casting items where might I find that info???
Darendor

Re: Special Weapons and items?

Post by Darendor »

Van Slaylin wrote:Quick question...Do items like frost horn or dragonwand or dragonshield ever wear out and become non functioning???

I vaguely remember them being used up and not working...turn into broken item or something...not sure if that was from this game or not...And I kinda remember seeing a number of uses beside the item in BT2 I think...

Sorry if this was talked about before...I looked but didnt see anything...

If there is a limit to the number of uses of certain spell casting items where might I find that info???
Yes, those items will eventually wear out and vanish from your inventory.

In Bard's Tale II and III the number of charges remaining is displayed. A way to "replenish" an item in I and II is to sell it to Garthe and then buy it back and it'll have the maximum number of charges.
Van Slaylin

Post by Van Slaylin »

Ahh OK thanks!!! I thought i remembered that...

Another one for you: Is an arc's hammer the best weapon for a Human Paladin? Or a diamond sword or shieldstaff??? The shieldstaff would give the AC bonus of 2... Not really sure the options are limited with him. Would a 2000 dollar pureshield AC 5 be better than a 15000 dollar dragonshield AC 3???

And How do you become a WI? I'm guessing thats wizard? I have both my magic users at level 7 on all four classes of magic but they arent showing up as a wizard???

And should my bard have a bardsword and pipes of pan equipped and then a frost horn or flame horn unequiped to keep the AC bonus of 2 with the pipes but still have the awesome attack with the horns?

Do things like speedboots and ali's carpet help everyone in the party or just the one wearing it. and other than the spell what does the carpet do? help you not hit traps or just for the AC bonus?

Thats all I can think of to ask LOL thanks!!!
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

- Arc's hammer I never bothered with. A pureblade is your best bet for your Paladin...

- The dragonshield casts the DRBR spell but is otherwise like a mithril shield. The Pureshield is a "Dmnd Shield" for Paladins only.

- If your mage has all 4 spell levels at 7, then he is a Wizard. He's also a Sorcerer, Conjurer and Magician...the class that you are simply means that's the most recent class change you made.

- The Bardsword gives your Bard unlimited songs, and I never really bothered with the Pipes of Pan, but this sounds like a good enough strategy. Just remember that a horn can vanish on you from too much use....

- The Speedboots help everyone in the party; it helps them run away from combat. And Ali's Carpet is a miscellaneous item that lowers AC by a couple points and casts "MALE".
Van Slaylin wrote:Ahh OK thanks!!! I thought i remembered that...

Another one for you: Is an arc's hammer the best weapon for a Human Paladin? Or a diamond sword or shieldstaff??? The shieldstaff would give the AC bonus of 2... Not really sure the options are limited with him. Would a 2000 dollar pureshield AC 5 be better than a 15000 dollar dragonshield AC 3???

And How do you become a WI? I'm guessing thats wizard? I have both my magic users at level 7 on all four classes of magic but they arent showing up as a wizard???

And should my bard have a bardsword and pipes of pan equipped and then a frost horn or flame horn unequiped to keep the AC bonus of 2 with the pipes but still have the awesome attack with the horns?

Do things like speedboots and ali's carpet help everyone in the party or just the one wearing it. and other than the spell what does the carpet do? help you not hit traps or just for the AC bonus?

Thats all I can think of to ask LOL thanks!!!
Van Slaylin

Post by Van Slaylin »

perfect thanks!!!
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Darendor wrote:- Arc's hammer I never bothered with. A pureblade is your best bet for your Paladin...
Arc's Hammer also casts Lesser Revelation.
- The dragonshield casts the DRBR spell but is otherwise like a mithril shield. The Pureshield is a "Dmnd Shield" for Paladins only.
I think a the breath of a dragonshield is somewhat more powerful that DRBR, but not by a whole lot. They are unfortunately just becoming obsolete when you start to find them. They work best when combined with some other mass damage spell.
- The Speedboots help everyone in the party; it helps them run away from combat. And Ali's Carpet is a miscellaneous item that lowers AC by a couple points and casts "MALE".
[/quote

The speedboots work when equipped by the party leader--the party leader's stats determine if you can run, if you set off a trap, etc. This is documented in BT2, but I think it probably applies to BT1 as well.
I agree with Darendor about the pureblade. You won't find a better weapon for a Paladin until more than half-way through BT2. The crystal sword might be close, though.
This is dependent on which version of the game you play. On the C64, it works fine, because the C64 doesn't check if an item is equipped when you try to use it. The Amiga version wouldn't let you get away with it, though, which made that trick a lot less valuable. I love having a PIpes of Pan when I'm mapping a darkness area. The inexhaustible supply of GRRE spells are great for those little "flashes" of insight.
The carpet just casts MALE, and has no other effects. It's a good spell-point saver, but nothing else really.
Death and drek? WTF?
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Darendor wrote:- Arc's hammer I never bothered with. A pureblade is your best bet for your Paladin...
Arc's Hammer also casts Lesser Revelation.
I think a the breath of a dragonshield is somewhat more powerful that DRBR, but not by a whole lot. They are unfortunately just becoming obsolete when you start to find them. They work best when combined with some other mass damage spell.
The speedboots work when equipped by the party leader--the party leader's stats determine if you can run, if you set off a trap, etc. This is documented in BT2, but I think it probably applies to BT1 as well.
I agree with Darendor about the pureblade. You won't find a better weapon for a Paladin until more than half-way through BT2. The crystal sword might be close, though.
This is dependent on which version of the game you play. On the C64, it works fine, because the C64 doesn't check if an item is equipped when you try to use it. The Amiga version wouldn't let you get away with it, though, which made that trick a lot less valuable. I love having a PIpes of Pan when I'm mapping a darkness area. The inexhaustible supply of GRRE spells are great for those little "flashes" of insight.
The carpet just casts MALE, and has no other effects. It's a good spell-point saver, but nothing else really.
Death and drek? WTF?
Marco

Post by Marco »

Horpner wrote:I agree with Darendor about the pureblade. You won't find a better weapon for a Paladin until more than half-way through BT2. The crystal sword might be close, though.
Well, yes and no. In BT1, paladins cannot equip the Spectre Snare. In BT2, they can. So the Spectre Snare is the best weapon for the paladin in Destiny Knight, and it's available from the beginning of the game (but only if you brought one along from BT1). Too bad they can't use it in BT1, though.

I think you are all correct about the pureblade. Years ago, my trusty paladin spent a long time using both the crystal sword and the pureblade, and I think the final verdict was that the pureblade was better. But only by a hair, though.

Marco.
Van Slaylin

Post by Van Slaylin »

I just tried the Dmnd Sword for my paladin and it sucked hard. I think youre right...i'm sticking with the pure blade. But I'm keeping the Dragonshield for him vs the pureshield cause the multi enemy attack with the dragonshield is awesome and works every round...unlike a fight attack that seems to be like 50% sometimes.