Recording Video with C-64 Emulators

Discussions about running Bard's Tale under an emulator

dragonbait

Recording Video with C-64 Emulators

Post by dragonbait »

Curious on how to Record video with the VICE C-64 Emulator. I am able to record video with the CCS64 emulator by clicking Alt+Shft+V to start/stop recording, but the CCS64 emulator has a tendency to freeze up and otherwise crash my system. I know I can record video with VICE by clicking Snapshot and then Start Recording History and then stop and playback, but where is the actual output file? I tried looking online at the VICE site and didn't get any direct answers. Does it save to .AVI? or other video format? There is also another C-64 emulator called "Hoxs64". Apparently its the most accurate emulation of all the C-64 emulators. Or so they say. Anyone used it?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I never bothered with it, but under: Snapshot -> Select history files/directory

...that might be what you're looking for.
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

Vice has a 'record history' feature which records the memory and system state and then records all the user input from this point.

This should allow replay at a later point within Vice, assuming nothing changes too much. The file stored has a memory dump followed by all the input. Optionally the recording system can be configured to record the state of the floppy images used as well (which makes it much larger).

However, if the goal is instead to generate video files, eg for uploading to youtube, then Vice has no features in this area, you'll have to use external capture software for this goal.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

CCS can record videos of the emulator's content = game play. I dunno however, what format exactly, just that it is one of the std formats.
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

Yeah, the question was "I can do this in CCS, how can I do it in vice?" the answer being vice doesn't have this feature.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Get the FFMPEG as a VICE plugin to be able to save as MPEG
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

Aha! I assume the link here http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/index.h ... 0Resources works with all recent released WinVice versions.

it seems there's support for building against ffmpeg on both linux and mac as well, if you're willing to do the build yourself or if your distribution provides it this way (on linux).
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Hope this helps your task