Top levels of Oscon's Castle

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Marco

Top levels of Oscon's Castle

Post by Marco »

Just curious about something. The 3rd and 4th levels of Oscon's Castle have a large number of portals in odd locations that make it extremely easy to complete the dungeon by letting you bypass some particularly irritating areas. It has been speculated that these portals were put there to make life easier at the time of game design to make life easier for those testing out things in the dungeon, but they forgot to remove them. If this is the case, then I would not be surprised if they got rid of these portals in subsequent versions of the game. They exist in the C64 version, and I believe also the Apple IIe version. Has anyone visited Oscon's fort in the Apple IIgs, Amiga, or PC versions?

Marco.
Darendor

Re: Top levels of Oscon's Castle

Post by Darendor »

Marco wrote:Just curious about something. The 3rd and 4th levels of Oscon's Castle have a large number of portals in odd locations that make it extremely easy to complete the dungeon by letting you bypass some particularly irritating areas. It has been speculated that these portals were put there to make life easier at the time of game design to make life easier for those testing out things in the dungeon, but they forgot to remove them. If this is the case, then I would not be surprised if they got rid of these portals in subsequent versions of the game. They exist in the C64 version, and I believe also the Apple IIe version. Has anyone visited Oscon's fort in the Apple IIgs, Amiga, or PC versions?

Marco.
The portals are there as a "freakshow". Outside the door leading to this area is a sign posted saying "The step into the unknown", where when you step through you can only step onto a series of teleportation squares until you finally get teleported back out from the area...

I did manage to go UP one of these portals to the 4th level; it put me up into one of the corridors running east-west. Not exactly a "shortcut" in my opinion but whatever. :?