Anybody know the drop locations of the following items:
Death Dagger
Stoneblade
Travelhelm
Old Man Fgn
Lich Fgn
Mongo Fgn
WizWand

These are the last batch of items in the items file, except for some special items, and i've never ever seen them drop, even though i've camped out for hours and hours on MT4&5.

Maybe any of these reverse engineer wizkids kan give a difinitive answer?
________
Arizona Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by zotje on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I dunno if you could call me a "wizkid"...

Have you tried Kylearan's Tower?
zotje

Post by zotje »

For a while, but not nearly as long as MT4&5...

It would surprise me if those can be found there though, as the other drops seem to follow the order in which the items are stored in the items file.

I'll give it another try though ;)

I'm kinda wondering now how the item drops are determined though... I always thought it was based on the dungeon, but maybe it's dependant on the monsters in the group, or the amount of XP gained from the kill?

The reason for this wondering is that i mostly skip the stoning monsters when i'm in the dungeons... maybe that's why i've never seen them...

Is it verified that those items drop anyways? (i'm using the msdos version)
________
Yamaha dt100
Last edited by zotje on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

The items drop upon events that are fired when you perform certain action. Some special items indeed are the reward for hard fights and are dropped when you success fighting some nasty monsters.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

I checked the events again, and indeed none of that items is given out in an event. This means that they are given out randomly, if a monster has them in their possess or as a random award item. I can remember having had once a death dagger. If you really want to try that items, equip them with a char editor.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

On the C64 version, the items drop tables are tied to the monster flag (0 to 7, with each flag having its own group of monsters). ZeroZero and I discovered this one afternoon messing around with the program code and I ended up populating the Wine Cellar with monsters from Mangar's Tower level 5. :?
zotje

Post by zotje »

See, i knew you programming wizkids would find out something :)

I've been mostly skipping the stoning monsters when farming for items... i guess i'll have to rethink that now...
________
Rolling A Joint
Maven

Post by Maven »

I had the exact same question. I'm running the IBM PC version, and I'm pretty sure I've never run into any of these things. I'm pretty sure everything else in my version is dropped based on dungeon level, because I did an experiment where I tried to fill up the items file. So far I have filled up everything except those seven items and the thor figurines and the spectre snares and the master keys. But I know where to find the other three things. Just not the seven items listed.

ZeroZero, was the Death Dagger you had legit? Which version of Bard's Tale were you using?
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

@ Maven

Yes, the one I had on the CBM64 version was legit. However, it is still a random drop. If you want to equip your char with one, check out this links:

http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefil ... index.html
For character editors and for item values file. That way you can easily get any item to any char ;-)
Maven

Post by Maven »

Well dang. I was hoping maybe there would be a way to get those things to drop without actually cheating. Or using a different platform. :(
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

The only way is to keep killing the monsters that drop the item until they drop it...
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

I have seen plenty of

Death Daggers, Stoneblades, Old Man Fgns, and WizWands, all picked up legitimately.

I have recently been looking to pick up a Travelhelm, and would be grateful to learn which dungeon is best to look in.
Maven

Post by Maven »

Flanimal, which version are you running?
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

Maven wrote:Flanimal, which version are you running?
64 Tape version.

I think some of my archmages have death daggers in my mega party, which I uploaded in another thread.

CORRECTION: I haven't picked up any Wizwands as I have been looking for one for about a month with no luck finding one.