starter dungeon 2nd floor ne portal doesnt work

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Michael Honzik

starter dungeon 2nd floor ne portal doesnt work

Post by Michael Honzik »

Ive got the winged creature and can see the black hole in the square, cast levitation but nothing happens. what gives?
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Have you tried the up resp down key, after you casted levitation? Check the manuals (should be here somewhere) for the right keys (assume "u" and "d")
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

I believe the only use the winged creature has is to get you accross the chasm on the lowest level of the Dark Domain. Could be wrong though. But like ZeroZero says you will need to cast a levitation spell and then hit the ascend or descend key to go up or down through the portals. a to ascend? d to descend?, or could be u for up.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Here at http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefil ... index.html you find the command summary cards for the C64 and the IBM/Tandy version of BT2. Maybe the ascend/descend keys for the version you play is one of these
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

For the DOS version...
A to Ascend up a portal, only when a levitation spell is in effect, only in
dungeons.
D to go down a portal. Works only in dungeons.

For the C64 version...
E to go up a portal. You must use a levitation spell. Works in
dungeons only.
W to go down a portal. Works in dungeons only.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

There's actually TWO chasms to cross, not one, so don't dump the Winged Creature after crossing the first one or you'll be stuck.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Darendor wrote:There's actually TWO chasms to cross, not one, so don't dump the Winged Creature after crossing the first one or you'll be stuck.
I don't remember there being two. Where is the second chasm? Unless I suppose you returned the way you came after picking up the princess, but there is a teleporter in the room past the princess which teleports the party near the stairs up to avoid returning back accross the chasm.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

I see now there are 2 chasms but they are practically consecutive as they are only 2 spaces away from each other. Highly unlikely that one would drop the winged creature whilst in between the two chasms.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

dragonbait wrote:I see now there are 2 chasms but they are practically consecutive as they are only 2 spaces away from each other. Highly unlikely that one would drop the winged creature whilst in between the two chasms.
Hi I'm Darendor, and I did exactly that once upon a time. :?
ManicWonk

Post by ManicWonk »

At least some versions actually show a chasm. The dos version does not, it just looks like regular flooring. I'm like... "yeah, show me the chasm!" :shock:
Thankfully, my party didn't fall to their deaths, simply blocked from moving north.
I did some bit-fiddling and found a curiousity:
The check is for any living character NAMED "Winged Creature" (note case). This basically prohibits using Disk options -> Rename a Member from simply renaming a character "WINGED CREATURE" and being flown magically across the chasm. All renamed characters end up in CAPS, even when using Alt+110 (etc.) to force lower case.
Appears to be no other checks (monster class, specials, etc.). I even used a hex editor to rename an archmage properly, and had no problem traversing the chasm.
There does appear to be 3 monsters in Destiny Knight with names in CAPS (ROCK, PAPER, SCISSOR from Oscon's Fortress level 4), but whether adding them beforehand or not will aid in snatching the scepter segment is something I haven't checked.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

ManicWonk wrote:At least some versions actually show a chasm. The dos version does not, it just looks like regular flooring. I'm like... "yeah, show me the chasm!" :shock:
The C64 version doesn't graphically show a chasm either, it just loads them as normal "Special" disk events...
ManicWonk

Post by ManicWonk »

Thanks to dragonbait for highlighting the motion key differences between versions.
As for Winged Creature, I looked at his résumé, and all it says is:
"Enjoys flying across 10 foot chasms."