Trap issue with BTII on c64

Any developer realated stuff
Saxon1974

Trap issue with BTII on c64

Post by Saxon1974 »

Are there any Dev's out there that have the knowledge to figure out why Traps dont work in the C64 version of BT II?

I have tried multiple verions of the games on differnet emulators and none of them work. The traps do nothing.

May not be anyone with enough emulator knowledge to figure it out but I though I might post this anyway.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Every time I've played BTII on the C64 traps do get me.

Is your party really high levelled or something?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Darendor wrote:Every time I've played BTII on the C64 traps do get me.

Is your party really high levelled or something?
No, from the very beginning they never work. Maybe its some setting on my machine or maybe its my version of the Vice Emulator.

What emulator do you use and what copies of the game?

I just downloaded Vice 2.1 (current release) and I think I only change screen resolution and traps still dont work. I tried multiple different versions of the game discs from different sites so Im clueless at this point.

By the way, traps that get sprung from a chest work normally, but ones that I hit while exploring never do a thing. The screen flashes after I hit the trap but never any affect on party.

Irritating because this is my prefered version to play.

If you go to the Dark Domain level 2 there is a trap near the medusa room at 6 North, 14 East. I even took a save state using vice so I could hit the trap over and over again and nothing EVER.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

"TRAP! You've hit a timed Warstrike spell!"

Took no damage, though. Make sure you're not taking a Magic Carpet Ride (i.e. LEVI or MALE spell in operation).
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Yea but can you get it to cause any damage or effects on a trap?

I get the trap message that I triggered one they just never have any effect.

I always get the message be it a pit, warstrike or basilisk snare but NEVER get affected by any of them. Screen flashes after message then nothing.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

My map series excludes traps so I don't know if there's any that are close to the entry stairs of Dark Domain level one. I could take a fresh group of characters and see if they trigger one...
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Darendor wrote:My map series excludes traps so I don't know if there's any that are close to the entry stairs of Dark Domain level one. I could take a fresh group of characters and see if they trigger one...
The easiest trap to get to in the dark domain is on level 2 there is a trap near the medusa room at 6 North, 14 East.

The CCS64 emulator automatically speeds up the game during load sequences so if you use that version no need to toggle warp speed on and off when playing....very nice!
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Saxon1974 wrote:
Darendor wrote:My map series excludes traps so I don't know if there's any that are close to the entry stairs of Dark Domain level one. I could take a fresh group of characters and see if they trigger one...
The easiest trap to get to in the dark domain is on level 2 there is a trap near the medusa room at 6 North, 14 East.

The CCS64 emulator automatically speeds up the game during load sequences so if you use that version no need to toggle warp speed on and off when playing....very nice!

Alright, well, I guess I'll make a party from scratch and try to get them to that area undamaged and see if the trap nails 'em.

Watch this space for my findings.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

:?

It seems that traps do not work in Bard's Tale II for some stupid reason.

I took a fresh party and using the save state ran them through the same trap square about a dozen times, and not once did any of them come to harm.

If Horpner and a few others were still around we might be able to figure out what the deal is. I suspect it's a flag issue with the dungeon code somewhere.

Time to post a glitch.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Yea that's the same thing I did.

What's odd is I did the same thing on the Apple II version with the same result.

I can't believe its possible the apple II and C64 releases of the game had this bug. This makes me think its emulator related, but the fact that its the same on the Apple II version is quite odd.

I have resorted to doing a party attack each time I hit a trap, otherwise using songs and spells that prevent traps are meaningless.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Saxon1974 wrote:Yea that's the same thing I did.

What's odd is I did the same thing on the Apple II version with the same result.

I can't believe its possible the apple II and C64 releases of the game had this bug. This makes me think its emulator related, but the fact that its the same on the Apple II version is quite odd.

I have resorted to doing a party attack each time I hit a trap, otherwise using songs and spells that prevent traps are meaningless.
Well, the Apple II version is the absolute original code. It was ported to the C64 with no changes whatsoever, so I am led to believe that this is an error that Michael Cranford made that was never exposed during alpha/beta testing back in the day.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Is the trap bug just for the Dark Domain? or does it also affect other dungeons as well. I think it would be better to test the other dungeons as the Dark Domain was meant to be a starter dungeon for characters that were created in BTII and not transfered from BTI. Perhaps it is just very difficult to get damage from traps in the Dark Domain. Might want to try walking on the trap square with no armor equipped and no LEVI on and see what happens. Either way it would be better to get some damage. I would have to create new characters as I have no experienced characters to run through the game with for C64 or IIe. I may still have some mid level characters in the Apple IIGS version to test with though.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

dragonbait wrote:Is the trap bug just for the Dark Domain? or does it also affect other dungeons as well. I think it would be better to test the other dungeons as the Dark Domain was meant to be a starter dungeon for characters that were created in BTII and not transfered from BTI. Perhaps it is just very difficult to get damage from traps in the Dark Domain. Might want to try walking on the trap square with no armor equipped and no LEVI on and see what happens. Either way it would be better to get some damage. I would have to create new characters as I have no experienced characters to run through the game with for C64 or IIe. I may still have some mid level characters in the Apple IIGS version to test with though.
Traps dont work in the Tombs either, so Im betting they dont work at all. Hard to believe the game was released this way. That's a pretty huge bug to miss.
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

I dare to say that this is a bug in the Apple II / C64 code which they missed and which never got fixed. The trap event is simply flawed - this could probably be mended quite easily. My guess is that the call to the damage subroutine never triggers - it might be so simple that a BEQ is written instead of BNE - one simple byte creates the entire fault.
/Twoflower
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Twoflower wrote:I dare to say that this is a bug in the Apple II / C64 code which they missed and which never got fixed. The trap event is simply flawed - this could probably be mended quite easily. My guess is that the call to the damage subroutine never triggers - it might be so simple that a BEQ is written instead of BNE - one simple byte creates the entire fault.
Did you manage to get into the BTII source code?