"Insert Disk 2" Message

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
ryanchin

"Insert Disk 2" Message

Post by ryanchin »

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could please tell me how to get past the "Please Insert Disk 2" prompt when I first boot up BT3? I installed BT1 and BT2, but never had this issue before. This is for the DOS version (using this EXE thief_of_fate-msdos.exe) and the DOSBox Emulator (with D-Fend).

I was thinking that it was something in the Mounting settings, but I couldn't figure out what.

Thank you!
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Hi,

I have no idea what the issue is with that version.
I do not have any issues using the ZIP instead of the exe and unzipping it all together in one directory.
Can it be a security setting issue on VISTA/Win7?
ryanchin

Post by ryanchin »

That worked, thank you!

My next stupid question is how do I import in my BT1 characters? When I imported them from BT1 -> BT2, all I had to do was map the drive in D-Fend so that the A: drive was my directory for BT1. However, for BT3, when I go through the options, it seems to want the exact location of the TPW's.

When I look in my BT1 directory however, I can't figure out where my character info is saved because the .TPWs in their are the the default ones that came with the .zip and none of the files (in Windows Explorer) have a date modified any later than 1995.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

LOL, it is a menu item in the guild screen "Transfer characters" in the MSDOS-version. You can transfer from several formats.

E D I T
Oops, sorry. did not read your post carefully enough...

a) did you save your chars into the BT 1 directory, or was your working path set diff when you started BT 1?
b) did you keep your BT 1 chars or were they deleted after importing to BT 2? In that case they should be in BT 2 directory.

SInce I dunno, how you played BT 1 (real disks or from hard drive), the answer is a bit tricky.
In worst case try a full search over your hard drive for "*.tpw" files.

Oh, one hint: use the PATCH file at the buttom of the files section for BT 3 to get rid of the codewheel protection from the ZIP-version. In the exe-version that patch is included, but not in the zip-version!