Transferring characters on C64 - help?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
tpth

Transferring characters on C64 - help?

Post by tpth »

Has anyone managed to transfer characters from BT1 -> BT3 successfully on C64? I'm trying to do it via the Utilities menu you get in BT3 by pressing U at the start of the game - it prompts me to insert the source disk then the destination disk, and I've tried attaching the BT1 and BT3 character disks in various permutations (one in drive 8 and one in drive 9, both in drive 8, both in drive 9), but all I ever get is an I/O error.

Anyone? Ideas/help much appreciated.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

The character rosters for BT1 are in the files NM00 and NM01. Make sure these files are on your source BT1 character disk, it should work then...
tpth

Post by tpth »

Thanks. I finally got it to work, but it was a bit of an ordeal.

This might be of interest to anyone else attempting the same thing, actually: from what I can gather, BT3 only detects a certain number of characters on the BT1 character disk. The disk I was using had a heap of other characters on it when I downloaded it in the first place, and BT3 only seemed to detect the first 16 or so, of which only two were the characters I actually wanted - being the newest on the disk, my characters were at the bottom of the roster.

I thought at first it could only load so many characters into memory (which, from the process below, is what it appears to do), but even when I deleted the old characters, none of the others were available for transfer. I'm guessing they get assigned a unique index number or something...?

I managed to get around the problem by making a new character disk in BT1 and then copying over only the characters I wanted to transfer to that disk, thereby (presumably) making sure they were at the start of the roster and were assigned the first index numbers. It all worked fine except that my level 23 warrior only seems to have one attack in BT3. No idea how to fix this, but I'll keep investigating.

The process for actually getting the transfer to work without I/O errors is as follows:

- Boot from BT3 boot disk in drive 8
- Press "U" on the title screen with the bard playing his mandolin
- Select "Transfer characters"
- Put BT1 character disk in drive 8 when prompted for source disk
- Put BT3 character disk in drive 8 when prompted for target disk
- Select the characters you want
- Cross fingers it all works

I couldn't get the process to work using both drives - if anyone can, I'd be interested to know how.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Actually, from what ZeroZero said, perhaps BT3 only reads one of the BT sources files? Not both? Hmmm.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Well, I dunno anything about BT3. However I know that in BT1 all data of a deleted character remain intact except for the first characters name byte. Also, each of the two files NM00 and NM01 can hold 16 entries, where each entry can be a party or a character. Details on the BT1 roster files for the C64 you can find in this topic:
Check this
Maybe this info helps you to solve any of your problems?
tpth

Post by tpth »

Thanks. I got everything functioning in the end, but cheers for the info; it's always interesting to know how things work :)