Bards Tale 1 cover art character races and classes

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Flanimal

Bards Tale 1 cover art character races and classes

Post by Flanimal »

I always liked the cover art painting of Bard's Tale. It really evokes the imagination of the Skara Brae and the Bard's Tale world.

I used to look at the six characters in the painting and wonder what race and class they might be if they were a Bards Tale party.

Looking at the picture, starting with the bard at 1 and going clock wise, I would roughly guess the race and class of the characters being:
1) human? bard
2) hobbit? rouge?
3) elf conjuror
4) half-elf magician
5) human - hunter
6) dwarf warrior

I would think the enthusiasts here are quite the experts to discuss this.
I'm not confident with my guesses, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Yes, the cover art for the BT games are most awesome! It really gives the players a sense of what the adventurers of Skara Brae would look like if you could actually pay a visit to the Adventurer's Guild or if you could wander about town.
Here's the image....

I would have to say (similarly, starting from the bard, going clockwise)
1.) Human Bard
2.) Dwarf (Looks more like a Dwarf to me than a Hobbit.)
3.) Half-Elf Conjuror / or Magician (I say Half-elf rather than an Elf due to the fact that he has a beard, something that are not normally attributed to Elves, but rather Half-elves. I say he is definitely a mage of some sorts due to him smoking a pipe ala Gandalf etc.)
4.) Elf (no beard, but rather just sideburns)
5.) Human
6.) Half-Elf

It is difficult to tell their classes. I wonder if any of the characters pictured were meant to portrait the characters from the A-Team. I suppose that El-Cid could be the 4th character in. Maybe Brian the Fist could be #5. Who knows. I suspect though that the artist was probably told to draw a portrait based on what he or she knew about the Lord of the Rings books. It is interesting through.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

Wonderful post dragonbait. Yeah I'm noticed the character nearest has pointy ear showing he has elvish roots. I certainly believe that your race allocations are more 'on the money' than my initial guesses.

Thanks also for including the picture in your post.

Eric Joyner, the original painter has a website show his old stuff, including 80's Electronic Art games, but sacreligeously there is no Bard's Tale material! A shame as it is a gem and should be shown in his portfolio.