Shame they didn't do this for a second game ending

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Flanimal

Shame they didn't do this for a second game ending

Post by Flanimal »

BT1 ending SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

After killing Mangar, Kylearan, the good Archmage, appears and says "The evil one is now defeated, and his spell of winter will soon end."

That immediately made me think of the "gigantic snow drift" blocking the city gates in Skara Brae.

Wouldn't it be nice if, you could go to the city gates, and there could be some text saying that the snowdrift as melted, giving you the option to leave the city, and subsequently the game, with a simple THE END message.
tpth

Post by tpth »

I believe the initial plan was to have areas outside the city, but it got scotched due to lack of resources, which is why the gate is there but you get the snowdrift message. But yeah, that would indeed have made for a nice ending. I guess it coulda used the same global "Mangar is dead" flag that triggers the lich encounter on the mystery square on Level 5 is the tower if you try to double-dip into killing Mangar.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

tpth wrote:I believe the initial plan was to have areas outside the city, but it got scotched due to lack of resources, which is why the gate is there but you get the snowdrift message. But yeah, that would indeed have made for a nice ending. I guess it coulda used the same global "Mangar is dead" flag that triggers the lich encounter on the mystery square on Level 5 is the tower if you try to double-dip into killing Mangar.
I currently have one of those Liches as my special NPC and was suprised not to find Mangar for a second shoeing. How does one reset the Mangar is dead' flag?