How random is random?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
misterhamtastic

How random is random?

Post by misterhamtastic »

Playing the c64 version, I started mapping encounters. I've noticed that the random encounters, at least for me, are few and far between. I have started grinding by apar from encounter to encounter. Has anyone else noticed this in this or other versions?
"Why can't I just stand back and throw rocks at the statue? Won't Tarjan show up?"

Hamtastic as a child
tpth

Post by tpth »

Hmmm, that's interesting. I was playing the C64 version last year and the frequency of encounters seemed OK - although they're far less frequent than in the DOS version, where you can't walk two steps without being deluged by enemies.
misterhamtastic

try this:

go into unterbrae. go to the first crossroads, where you can go straight or turn left. turn around, you should have a battle. leave unterbrae. re-enter and go back to the same spot and repeat. you should have another encounter. If you map encounters like this, you'll see what I mean. I'm about to try this on the Amiga version, starting with I. I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe I'll even submit some maps.
"Why can't I just stand back and throw rocks at the statue? Won't Tarjan show up?"

Hamtastic as a child
tpth

Post by tpth »

Oh, I see - you mean the "forced random encounter" squares, like in BT1? Yes, these are virtually non-existent in BT2 and BT3. But there should be plenty of genuinely random encounters as you wander about.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

That is true:

In BT1, C64 version, there are three kinds of encounters.

1) really random encounters, that happen anytime anywhere in the city or in dungeons while you wander around

2) places in maps, where a random encounter will definitely happen, but what monsters you meet is random from the "monsters level" of the map.
This are the so called "forced random encounters".

3) scheduled encounters. These always happen at the same place with the same opponents. The flag that it was met is set until you leave and reenter the map.
misterhamtastic

I wonder if this is true for other versions. I'd be interested to see if the maps I've made for c64 will hold true on other systems.

Hamtastic as a child