What to do with those files?

Discussions about running Bard's Tale under an emulator

silverbird

What to do with those files?

Post by silverbird »

Hi and a BIG thank you for taking the time to read this I won't waste time telling you how it feels to play these great games once more most of you already know...
It's like this I have downloaded the files from here of the games and also an old Emulator "ccs64 v1.09 (c) 1997 Per Hakan Sundell" which I have placed on my old windows 98 pc.
I have an xp but I would not prefer to use it for old games so now I can bring the old basic c64 blue screen up and that's when I get stuck?
Could someone please let me know as simple as they can as I'm not a wiz kid when it comes to pc's what to do with these game files so as to run the game.
A BIG thank you in advance.
Caracas

Post by Caracas »

Hi Silverbird,

What game file did you download?

If you want to run the game on a win98, I don't know you even need an emulator. Is there no option in Windows98 to restart the PC in DOS mode?
If so, you should download the PC version and copy it to C:\bard. Then quit to DOS, run the setup in the C:\bard folder and you should be ready to go.

I might be horribly wrong though... Windows 98 is too long ago for me :oops:
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

For the DOS version, try DosBox

For the C64 version you have the right emulator.
Try F9 in the emulator to get to the menus to attach a D64 file and
then load a file from it.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Thanks ZeroZero I will give the F9 a go, I have already brought up the menu screen guess I need to study the info that came with the emulator.
Sure look mighty confusing thou lol.

Hi Caracas I downloaded all three Bard games.
Well I guess if you want to play any of the games in the C64 mode instead of windows you would need an emulator.
Yes there is an option for me to restart in ms Dos I also downloaded the game from another game site Abandon something or another but they don't give the C64 version only the pc I think.

Anyway I will go and give it a try and let you know how I went thanks once again.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

I'm currently playing the C64 tape version of BT1 on CCS64, so I have fresh knowledge of it.

From the blue C64 screen you need to insert the tape/disk. This is done by F9. For tape move the cursor to Device 1, press return, find the tape file and press F2. For disk, move the cursor to Device 8, press return, find the disk file and press F4.

To boot the tape game, enter
load "*",1,1
to boot the disk game, enter
load "*",8,1

repeat the above procedure (but not the boot procedure) to change tape/disk when needed during play.

Once you have the game booted, you might as well save the game as a CCS snapshot, and you can simply load/save the snapshot from then on without needing to boot the game or save parties to tape/disk.

I grew up with the tape version, so I stick to that, partly because that is the version on which I have my extremely developed party, and partly because I found the tape version to be very slick as there are no obtrusive media accessing during play - the tape is only accessed when changing levels.

Hope that info helped, I'll be here if you have any questions.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Hi once again I have tried the files once more which I have place on a floppy disc.
Pressing the F9 key brings up the menu which were, Continue,Load program,Reset c64 (Hard),Reset c64 (Soft),etc ext ...
Pressing load program will then bring up from path A:\ this menu.
BARD'S 1.D64
BARD'S 2.D64
BARD'S 3.D64
BARD'S 4.D64
(Volume) A:
(Volume) C:
(Volume) D:
(Volume) E:
Pressing enter for Bard's 1 will then bring up this menu,"PROTO MOCK LOADE" "BARDS TALE II""LOADER" I have tried scrolling down and pressing the enter button only to get Reset and load, or to return to the desk top screen.
Could anyone shine some light here for me please thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help Flanimal as you can see from above not sure what Device 1 is also maybe I should put all four file on separate disks?
I tried the load"*",8,1 and got the game running but it ask for the character dick also before it started there was a message saying that I could have unlimited hit points did you get this also lol.
Sorry about the long story line here but I wrote it before I came on the net
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

Hello silverbird,

Device 1 is the tape recorder, so if you are using the disk version you don't need to concern yourself with device 1.

It would seem that the older version of CCS64 that you are running has different options under the F9 key.

I would recommend downloading and running the latest CCS64 exeutable. A quick google on "ccs64" told me that the latest version should be fully windows 98 compatible. I don't think you even need to install anything - just run the executable to fire it up.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Hello Flanimal,
I will google as you say and see what I come up with but I think the last time I tried the latest version my old pc could not recognize the new files?.
Will let you know how I get on either way.
Regards Silverbird.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

silverbird wrote:Hello Flanimal,
I will google as you say and see what I come up with but I think the last time I tried the latest version my old pc could not recognize the new files?.
Will let you know how I get on either way.
Regards Silverbird.
Ah, it is probably not worth the bother trying to get the latest version to work if you have already changed it and got an error.

The version of CCS64 has different options to those that I know, but the basics should be the same.

So you have booted up the boot disk ok and then it asks for a character disk?
First question, do you have a character disk *.dsk file? I do have one, and would be happy to email it to you if you need one.
The next essential thing that you need is the ability to switch disks. The older version of CCS64 that you have probably still has the status line at the bottom, telling you which disk *.d64 file is currently attached.
You need to work though the available menus and options find out how to attach a different disk file (without actually booting from it). Once armed with this ability, you should be sorted.

If disk switching seems elusive, then you could always download and run the tape version of the game. Of course you will have to master tape switching once you leave Skara Brea, but while in Skara Brea you will be free from the hassles of media emulation.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Hello once again,
Finally got it up and running as I thought the latest version that I tried gave me a PC upgrade message anyway that's history now.
Just for the record if there is anyone else new to the emulator scene and in the same situation as myself PC wise which I very much doubt this is what I done.
I put the four game files on floppy disk for safety then make a back up copy.
The file in order are Boot, Dungeon A, Dungeon B, Character.
First I made a shortcut to the desktop of the MS-DOS Batch File this was called Ccs64_95 using this made it easier to load the emulator.
Double click the shortcut icon which will take you to the good old blue screen now place your dick in the slot and press F9 which will then take you to the *** CCS64 MENU ***.
I found by not inserting the dick in and pressing F9 gave me a "Drive not ready error reading drive A Retry, Ignore, Fail?" message and had to press the windows button to close the message.
Back to the menu screen so far there are only three that I use, Continue, Load program, Quit CCS64, Press load program.
Remember the order of the files press enter for the top file which is the boot file.
Now another menu will appear press the down arrow to highlight the first two rows "Boot disk" "Prodos" press enter two choices here I choose "Reset and load" press enter.
You should be back to the good old blue screen type in load"*",8,1 before we go on it's important to remember that the keys are not the same as today's I'm still trying to figure them out lol here is what you need to press.
load (hold shift down then press)2 (Release shift key then press)] (hold shift down then press)2 ,8,1 now you can press enter as it will now be searching for the file.
When the singing bard comes up press the Esc key to go to the next game menu which will ask you to insert the character disk.
Press F9 choose load program scroll down using the down arrow key to the fourth file which is the character file then press enter.
You should now see the "CHARACTER" blue screen press the left arrow key twice to take you back to the F9 menu screen choose continue then press enter.
Nearly there press space bar choose yes or no it's up to you then play the game when you have finished scroll down and choose Quit CCS64.
Hope this help someone feel free to add to it I know I could of used this PC and the up to date version of the emulator but I like a challenge lol.
A big Thanks to you Flanimal I was reading your response to me I still have a long way to go learning all the keys and speed for the game but the fun is getting there.
Looking forward to hearing from you regards silverbird.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

The standard loading with the CCS would be:

F9, select boot disk, select boot file, load

When asked to insert diff disk:

F9, select e.g. character disk image, then choose the function key that only says "Select Disc", that is either F1 or F3, maybe in occasions also F4
Do *NOT* choose to BOOT DISC or LOAD, only SELECT

Now press enter, as game states and loading continues

I personally make a memory snapshot, when the game is loaded, before I load my party, and next time I load that snapshot image to save me the disk flipping.

If I seriously play, I continue to make mem snapshots at key situations, so in case something unwanted happens, I can reload and try again.

But in any case I have always a "BTBOOT" memory image to quickly load that into the CCS emu.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

Good point ZeroZero That snapshot seems to pop up a fair bit for me now I think I will cut and paste your reply so I can try it out thanks again.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

BTW SIlverbird:

There is about 1 dozen of BT1 disk versions for the CBM 64 out there.

I personally favor one that is called "Arnold's", because it is the only one that contains untouched ATeam, Shop and Mangars level, as it seems.

I have tried like 7 or 8 disk versions, and Arnold's is it.

In the latest CCS you should set Video to "Window 3 x" or "Window 2x". In this case you should get Windows menus, that ease up the handling of the emu a lot.
silverbird

Post by silverbird »

ZeroZero just three points here I printed out your reply as I said I would and had a good look.
1st you do realize that I have only version 1.09 1997 and not the new version.(I will get the new version at a later date)
2nd where can I find this Arnold's copy of BT1.
3nd what about BT3 what is your favor there?.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

1. ok ;-)
2. eg. here: Arnold's disks
3. Honestly: I never played BT2 or BT3 fully, so I don't know. Anyone else can recommend a version for Silverbird?