BT 3 MSDOS version

Any developer realated stuff
drifting

Post by drifting »

Darendor wrote:Were you able to get the Tarjan battle sorted out?
Yes. That turned out to be very simple to implement. Basically just call the summon() routine
10 times with Black Slayers. Had to fix some bugs in the summon() routine though.
drifting

Post by drifting »

https://github.com/downloads/ChrisAubuc ... thiefp.exe

Fixes:
  • Lights now stay on after entering an anti-magic square
  • Fixed the Sorcerer Sight spell
  • Fixed monster rosters for levels.
  • Fizzle spells that are cast while on an anti-magic square
  • Print full spell name under Known Spells in magic user character screen
  • Fixed the "outdoor" dungeon levels. Sacred Grove, Tar Quarry and Shadow Canyon now use the outdoor background and a light spell is not required.
  • Added scroll speed commands to battle text as in BT1 and BT2. Use '>' or '.' to speed up and '<' or ',' to slow down
I think that's all of the issues with the DOS version from this forum. If there are any others let me know and I'll get them fixed.
Dustin542

Post by Dustin542 »

I have read from others who have played the DOS version that the four Harmonic gems never show in Skara Brae nor do monsters drop them as loot as much as other versions. They seem to be pretty much non existent till much later in the game.
drifting

Post by drifting »

• Matched the drop rate of Harmonic Gems to Apple version.
  • Added the poisoned effect to the user input loop to drain HP when poisoned
  • Fixed a spacing issue when printing "XX points of damage" from a spell or breath attack
Last edited by drifting on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
drifting

Post by drifting »

Dustin542 wrote:I have read from others who have played the DOS version that the four Harmonic gems never show in Skara Brae nor do monsters drop them as loot as much as other versions. They seem to be pretty much non existent till much later in the game.
Are the four harmonic gems the only thing in the storage building when the game is first started? I can recreate the original contents but I need to know what they are. All of the versions that I've downloaded already have been looted.

The drop rate for Harmonic Gems was 1 in 256 for the DOS version compared to 17 in 256 for the Apple II version. I've uploaded a new binary that has the drop rate fixed.
Dustin542

Post by Dustin542 »

I don't know the exact contents of the storeroom, though I have found a screenshot of some of items found within. It could just be some random stuff that always include the gems.

Edit: I just tried a download of BT3 (now just writing this I notice its on here too apparently) and the storeroom was untouched in this version. What I found were:4 harmonic gems, 2 plate armors, 2 halbards, 2 longbows, 2 arrows, 1 wineskin, 2 lamps, 1 fire horn, 1 soothing balm, and 1 youth potion.

Based on that earlier shot the amount of each item could be random.
Last edited by Dustin542 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drifting

Post by drifting »

Fixes:
  • HP regeneration squares now properly regenerate hit points
GeorgiaBoy

BT 3 Data Request

Post by GeorgiaBoy »

Hi drifting,

I understand this is a LOT of data to request. I am not asking for you to do additional work. I was wondering in your bugfixing of BT 3 if you happened across monster stats (HP, amount of damage done, spec abilities) as well as amount of damage/gold value done by items.

Have a good one,

GB
drifting

Re: BT 3 Data Request

Post by drifting »

GeorgiaBoy wrote:Hi drifting,

I understand this is a LOT of data to request. I am not asking for you to do additional work. I was wondering in your bugfixing of BT 3 if you happened across monster stats (HP, amount of damage done, spec abilities) as well as amount of damage/gold value done by items.

Have a good one,

GB
I have that data for all spells, items and monsters for all three BT games. It's from the DOS version but the data seems to be the same across all of the versions. I'll look to get it on a web page somewhere.
GeorgiaBoy

Post by GeorgiaBoy »

Hi drifting,

Thanks! Any additional plans?

Thanks,

GB
GeorgiaBoy

Post by GeorgiaBoy »

...and then some! This will help greatly with my Dungeon Craft Mod. I will integrate this with an excel spreadsheet. Is there a formula for the amount of gold each monster has (say 1024 xp= whatever gold)? Thank you very much!
Maven

Post by Maven »

Thanks for that data, Drifting. I have been wondering about some of those special attack spells forever. So THAT'S what that conjurer was casting. I saw it cast a spell, but I couldn't see that it made any difference. :)

One thing... the damage on some of those breath attacks might not be correct. Pretty sure the Grey Dragon does more than 0d16 damage when he breathes at my party!

Another thing I have wondered about is the usage effects on some of the items. The Dag Stone, for example, casts some sort of light spell. Most of the effects we have been able to track down pretty well by deductive reasoning, and I guess we could probably narrow down the light spell by noticing how many squares it lights up, whether it shows hidden doors, and how long it lasts. I'm too lazy today to time how long it lasts, though. Do you have those effects in a table somewhere?
drifting

Post by drifting »

Maven wrote: One thing... the damage on some of those breath attacks might not be correct. Pretty sure the Grey Dragon does more than 0d16 damage when he breathes at my party!
Yep. I made the variable too small to hold the number of dice. I've uploaded new mons files that have the right values.
Maven wrote: Another thing I have wondered about is the usage effects on some of the items. The Dag Stone, for example, casts some sort of light spell. Most of the effects we have been able to track down pretty well by deductive reasoning, and I guess we could probably narrow down the light spell by noticing how many squares it lights up, whether it shows hidden doors, and how long it lasts. I'm too lazy today to time how long it lasts, though. Do you have those effects in a table somewhere?
I have all of that data. I didn't put it in there because item effects are a bit more complicated than the spells that monsters cast. The monsters use the exact same spells that the party uses. Items do not. They use the same functions but use different parameters. I'll see if I can get the data into a meaningful format.
drifting

Post by drifting »

Uploaded new items files. I added in the usage effects for the items.