Great Idea, Darendor

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
Darendor

Great Idea, Darendor

Post by Darendor »

So I came up with a brilliant idea to try to beat Bard's Tale III with a different kind of party.

Six rogues and 1 Chronomancer.

The advantage here is that everyone but the mage can hide in shadows and then once hidden beat the crap out of everyone with Holy Handgrenades. Everything was going along swimmingly. Brilhasti ap Tarj? Ha. Die. Good boy. Now off to Arboria.

So first things first, go learn the GILL spell from the fisherman for 500 gold. Neat. Got a container? Yep. Ok, time to go to the crystal palace. Cast GILL 40 times. Perfect. Now I'll just cast GRRE-

MOTHERFU[kittens kittens kittens]!!!!!!!

Sigh. Looks like I'll need to invest in lamps. Screw harmonic gems, gimme some light, man. Oh, and say goodbye to APAR. Sigh. :? :roll:
Darendor

Re: Great Idea, Darendor

Post by Darendor »

It also occurs to me that my adventure stops in Gelidia, because I need to cast a bunch of non-Chronomancer spells to get into the 3 towers.

Yeah. I did not think this through.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I managed to muddle through Arboria.

The only thing that makes it bearable to dungeon crawl without a light source is the automap feature.

I found out quickly that the Chronomancer has one singular healing spell - Vitality (VITL). According to the manual, it "Invigorates a character by healing 4 to 8 hit points times the spellcaster's level." It's pretty interesting when a thief fails his 99% hide chance and an Ixtl Corsair poisons his ass.

Later on I get GRRO, which will probably be useful in such situations.

Anyways. I realized that unless I found an Ali's Carpet in a random battle I wouldn't be able to reach Tsoltha Garnath, since I have no spells that allow the party to leviate. Luckily I picked enough fights in Ciera Brannia that a Delorean finally gave me one.

I had the foresight to make sure I imported my party from II with a "Nospen Ring" so I don't need to worry about those spinners.

In the Sacred Grove, I was done in by that stupid heart-trap at the entrance to Valarian's grave. "Oh dear you appear to be well done". Yeah, right. Everyone but the Chronomancer died.

Well, it's off to Gelidia where my party dies a hypothermic death because I need to be able to cast certain spells to get into the towers. Except not really because to hell with it I'm importing an Archmage to deal with that silliness.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Chronomancer's Log, Gelidia, Day 8

We've been wandering in literal circles for the past 12 hours at the top of this so called "Grey Tower". The rogues have been giving me evil glares as we have been trying, to no avail, to enter the cross-shaped inner sanctum. The air in here is very cool; the deathly chill of the outdoors held off by the ice-insulated walls and the one rogue's use of an "Eternal Torch" staves off frostbite, albeit only slightly so.

I am bitterly reminded by my shadowy companions that I once possessed the ability to Apport Arcane. If only I was able to remember how to do that! No amount of begging or pleading with the walls yielded any ingress.

The rogues have started to demand we return to Skara Brae and bring with us the Archmage who dispelled the magical wards to these towers. Perhaps they are right...

Yeah, so. You also need a mage capable of casting APAR to beat Gelidia. Guh. :?
Marco

Post by Marco »

Fine, so you need 5 rogues, a Chronomancer, and an Archmage. It's still an interesting idea.

Marco.