Someone give me some tips form the beggining

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
cloudlink

Someone give me some tips form the beggining

Post by cloudlink »

Hello im new here and in Bard's Tale game so i dont know how to play well so if someone can answer my question i would be very greatful

1- Im playing DOS version when i create a new adventurer i cant find the Wizard and Sorcerer in the class list in any race!! Is that some kind of a bug or its normal???

2 - Help me with the combats!!! Their are extremaly difficult... im dying very fast.... What should i do in the beggining?? Face everyone? And another problem: There are some characters that don't have the option of "attack foes". Is it normal too, a hunter can't attack??

3 - Please help me with the magics... i heard that the bard can use an incial magic melody that can destroy a entire group of enemys, but i didnt found it....

Well, thank you guys. Im am an crazy RPG Fan, i am only 18 years old so i didnt played iti n the old times but i discovered this game on the internet and im already falling in love for it, but i dont know how to play well.. yet!! ^^ so if anyone could help i will appreciate very much thanks!! Ah.. and sorry for my english :P, i can understand everything in english but i steel have a problem to write in english! bye!
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

1. This is very normal. The wizard and sorcerer are considered classes. You have to master the spell levels of 1 class to advance to the next. Do you have a manual. If not download it from the site. This site has the spell list, and some cheat stuff too. It will tell you things like that.
2. Combat is very hard in the beginning. Stay close to the temple or the adventurers guild. You just have to survive. They get easier as you progress. As far as the attack option. Only the first 3 characters can attack without bows. I would think that your hunter must be further down than 1-3.
3. The bard will get things like the firehorn later in the game. That can attack groups.
It is a wonderful game once you survive the difficult beginning, and there are enough fan sites out there for help. Good luck and have fun.
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
cloudlink

Post by cloudlink »

Thanks !!!!! you saved me!!! heheh thanks for the tip of the guide too. I downloaded it and the other stuff the helped a lot THX :D bye!
ssfsx17

Post by ssfsx17 »

To level up at the beginning, go right next to the temple that's just south of the AG, go one or two squares south of that, face a building, and hold the up key until you feel you have had enough battles. This works pretty well for getting up to level 5 or so.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
Marco

Post by Marco »

Chaney wrote:1. This is very normal. The wizard and sorcerer are considered classes. You have to master the spell levels of 1 class to advance to the next. Do you have a manual. If not download it from the site. This site has the spell list, and some cheat stuff too. It will tell you things like that.
Actually, I think you only need to master 3 levels of spells before you are offered the opportunity to change class. At least, that was the case in the Apple version. But it's smart to master all 7 levels of a class before moving on, because you can never come back to a class. The way it works is you have to master 3 levels of either Conjuror or Magician before you're offered Sorcerer. Then after you've mastered 3 levels of Sorcerer, you're offered Wizard.

One trick that has a big payoff towards the end of the game is to end the progression to archmage on either the Magician or Conjuror class. You have two spellcasters, one a Conjuror and the other a Magician. Each then proceeds to Sorcerer, then Wizard, and then only after mastering Wizard do you come back to the last remaining class. The reason for this is that Wizards need more experience points per level than Conjurors or Magicians. Thus, by ending the progression on these lesser mage classes, you gain levels much more rapidly, translating to more hit points and spell points when you really need them in the endgame.
2. Combat is very hard in the beginning. Stay close to the temple or the adventurers guild. You just have to survive. They get easier as you progress. As far as the attack option. Only the first 3 characters can attack without bows. I would think that your hunter must be further down than 1-3.
I never found the hunter to be very useful. For that matter, I never liked the bard much either -- I preferred to have 3 competent fighters and 3 archmages. However, when you play Bard's Tale II, where your first 4 characters can fight hand-to-hand, and there is a certain item you can import from Bard's Tale I that will turn your bard into a rabid killing machine. For Bard's Tale I, unfortunately, you won't find this item until you're virtually done with the game, which means your bard isn't very useful most of the time. In fairness to the bard, though, the songs do appear to increase in potency depending on the difficulty of the dungeon you're in. There are also two puzzles in the game whose solutions require a bard, but both of them may be bypassed by other means.

Marco.
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

You are absolutely correct about the number of levels needed for advancement. I don't even know why that is an option, as you will be screwed later. :lol:
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

yeah, if you jump through to sorceror after doing 3 of each, the character will be limited, but if you have 3 mages, you can put one of them to good use and get some decent spells earlier on which can help out your party get more XP faster. Then eventually when the other 2 mages catch up you basically ditch the original (xtra) sorceror character. Train a new character if you want to.
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

We learned all of these strategies the hard way, unfortunately. :x