Saving Bard's Tale

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Johan

Saving Bard's Tale

Post by Johan »

I would like to try good old Bards Tale again. But memory fails after so many years apart from it J. I want to play either Atari or Amiga version for the better graphics. But I don’t remember how I could save the game.. I know it saves when I leave the game but isn’t there a way to save midgame to avoid getting killed and being forced to exit without saving and LOSING all gold. Is there a way to do this? When playing msdos version I can off course just save the characters in another folder then copy them back but the same cant be done when using emulators. Help is appretiated!
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Post by Brian the Fist »

Sorry, but in fact Bard's Tale I has no such feature. The feature you are looking for (saving during gameplay itself and not just in the guild) was first implemented in Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight. This is no problem of the special version, so it will be the same with Amiga, Atari, MS-DOS and all other versions.
The sudden scream of battle brings your party to a halt....
....will your stalwart band choose to fight or run?
Johan

Post by Johan »

What should I do then if I am stuck somewhere and some characters die.. Am I screwed if I don’t have the money to resurrect them. What will happen if I just end the emulator?
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Post by Brian the Fist »

There are some hints on my site that show how money can be muliplicated, so you shouldn't run out of money. In fact, if you just end the emulator, the game will restart at the point of your last save in the guild (with all the money you had at that point of time).
Johan

Post by Johan »

Ohh So i wont loose anything then. Great.. One last question.. I have just tried the Atari st version with emulator Steem. Do you know of a better emulator or if it is possible to speed upp the fight rounds. On ms dos version I remembered that spave did speed the fights ok.
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Post by Brian the Fist »

I always play Atari ST Files with the SainT emulator (also available at my site). The speed seems to be better than with the Steem emulator.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Brian, you're wrong...the "save anywhere" feature didn't exist until Bard's Tale III came along. In II you had to save in the guild just like in I... :?
Banky

Post by Banky »

Darendor wrote:the "save anywhere" feature didn't exist until Bard's Tale III came along. In II you had to save in the guild just like in I... :?
This applies only to the C64 version.
The Dos and Amiga versions of Destiny Knight have a very handy save option.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Banky wrote:
Darendor wrote:the "save anywhere" feature didn't exist until Bard's Tale III came along. In II you had to save in the guild just like in I... :?
This applies only to the C64 version.
The Dos and Amiga versions of Destiny Knight have a very handy save option.
Do they really? Well aren't I silly.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

The Apple IIGS version of BTII has a save game option also.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

dragonbait wrote:The Apple IIGS version of BTII has a save game option also.
Isn't the Apple II version the ORIGINAL code Michael Cranford wrote, and all other versions are ports thereof?
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

That's correct, and probably helps explains why the Apple ][e version is so bad-ass. :twisted:
Death and drek? WTF?
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Darendor wrote:
dragonbait wrote:The Apple IIGS version of BTII has a save game option also.
Isn't the Apple II version the ORIGINAL code Michael Cranford wrote, and all other versions are ports thereof?
Apple IIe is the original.

Apple IIGS has the save option.