Dungeon Textures (bt1, msdos)

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Desmet Irkm

Dungeon Textures (bt1, msdos)

Post by Desmet Irkm »

In the msdos version the files 'dpics0', 'dpics1', and 'dpics2' contain the textures for the dungeons. 'dpics0' contains the "standard" dungeon look, ''dpics2' contains the skulls and bones look for the catacombs. If you copy 'dpics1' or 'dpics2' over 'dpics0' you can have the corresponding textures in any dungeon, e.g. already in the wine cellar. If you do that with 'dpics1' you get textures with red walls and doors and one skull set in the center. I haven't ever seen those textures, at least not in the Amiga version I played through long, long time ago. Has anybody else seen them anywhere? Were they maybe intended for Mangars Tower (I guess they would fit there) but then ultimately not used in the final version?
tpth

Post by tpth »

Do you mean textures like the ones like in the picture? (Sorry it's so tiny, but it's the only one I could find.) If so, then yes, those textures are used in Mangar's Tower in the DOS version of BT1, and in the Destiny Stone in the DOS version of BT2. No idea about the Amiga version, though.

tpth

Post by tpth »

Nice username, by the way.
Desmet Irkm

Post by Desmet Irkm »

Yep, you're right, thanks. I checked it out now myself (first needed to hack up my party to get in there). I can't remember something like this in the Amiga version, however. Need to check that, too.