C64 BT2: complete monster list

Any developer realated stuff
drifting

Re: C64 BT2: complete monster list

Post by drifting »

Darendor wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:27 am And just like that, my patience level fell through the floor and I quit this project.

To ensure I never return to it, I destroyed every single file off my hard drive, including all 3 BT games.
That's too bad Darendor. It was looking pretty interesting and I was curious to see how your data matched up with the DOS version.

I don't think your issue is related to the A0 in Forest Giant since you were already seeing corruption in the Conjurer entry before it. It looks like you're going one byte too far when reading the data. "onjurer" instead of "Conjurer" and then "rest Giant" instead of Forest Giant
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I corrected the "corruption" seen in the screenshots earlier prior to encountering this latest "hiccup". It was a missing CLC instruction someplace.

Man, I just don't know. I went over the section of code for literal HOURS, the code that extracts the monster name, filters out the capital letters vs lowercase (a table containing the Petscii codes for A-Z and a loop), checks for the "end" character (DC), and the character that indicates a singular/plural suffix (AF). I tried adding a CMP #$AF and a BEQ and it should have worked fine, but instead it glitched out huge and locked up.

I was so pissed. I hate ML programming to begin with, and now I'm downright afraid of it. :?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Here's my latest posting on the Lemon64 forums demonstrating the issue at hand:
https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79708
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

To HELL with ML programming.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Just for information's sake, the max HP of the Balder Guard and Lagoth Zanta is incorrect.

Balder Guard HP: 511-2174
Lagoth Zanta HP: 1279-4990
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I thought I'd post another anecdote about how monsters work in BTII on the C64...

So each monster has four different attack options to pick from for any given round, 1 through 4. It's an even chance (25%) for all 4.

Did you know that monster have access to every single spell that players do, with the exception of MAFL?

There's a few other quite weird things that can happen to when a monster tries to cast certain spells.

For instance, the "residual" spells can be cast by monsters, and the spell will behave as though the player cast it. This also is true of BASP.

Monsters can cast SCSI in combat, and it'll actually pause combat and tell you "You are in the city, and face west. Press a key."

They can also cast the Dreamspell, which has the bizarre split effect of behaving like normal, except that it casts MAMA at the party, and nukes all illusions in the monster ranks.

A monster that tries to cast ANDE at a party member will produce the message: "___ casts a spell at ___ but was too far away!", despite being 10' away... :?

The DISP and DIIL spells, when cast by monsters, will turn all "Illusion" monsters in the party to "Dead", instead of causing them to vanish.

Both FAFO and MEME will work against the party if successful.

And finally - this one made me giggle - monsters can cast SASP, and guess what happens. That's right, your ass is teleported back to the AG in Tangramayne, minus all gold. Can you imagine facing a monster group and having them do that to you after reaching say level 7 of some dungeon? :twisted:

Anyways. I'm very sleep deprived. Again.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Okay.

I reluctantly returned to this project. :?

I am pleased to report that I've managed to overcome the following infuriating challenges:
- the goddamn shifted space bullsh#$
- paging forward past the Mercenary entry without it going to hell in a handbasket
- general hatred of assembly language programming

And so the program now correctly (-ish) displays all 18 monster entries.

For the longest time, it would crash after trying to page (i.e. hit F3) past the Mercenary entry, which I was finally able to track down to a case of number reversal (4294 was input as 4924; I must have looked past this a hundred times whenever I would disassemble the code fragment).

I am posting my program's interpretation of all 18 monsters as found in the Wilderness/Cities of BTII. As I was going through I did observe a few oddities such as "[Herb Fgn]", and I'm fairly certain Wander Mages don't cast Mangar's Mallet...

Oh well.

drifting, if you're out there, you said you wanted to compare your data to mine. Here ya go.

I'm perfectly expecting there to be errors and discrepancies; please, I invite anyone and everyone to point them out to me so I can correct them.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

So I'm going to be adding the code that permits the user to change the data, beginning with the monster name.

But first, I'm going on a minor vacation.

I should return to this project in the bottom half of May to start implementing that phase of the project.