Item & Monster Specs

Any developer realated stuff
WarrioirOfIce

Re: Item & Monster Specs

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Maven wrote:It looks like it has a bit field off. It's multiplying the magic + damage by 16.

All I can say is, get yourself a Spectre Mace!
3+2d4 x 16 gives a lot more than 50-58 !

it looks a lot more to me that, there's a basic attack of around 45 then it adds 2d4+3 to it, then for 2 attacks same thing happens, 2 x 45 + ((2d4+3) x2) and so on.
Maven

Post by Maven »

I think it's more likely that only the magic + damage is being multiplied by 16. So the 2d4+3 turns into 2d4+(3*16), which is 2d4+48. That will give you a range of 50-56 per attack, which is what your level 1 Elf was seeing. The level 1 Dwarf got 2 free damage for his 18 str, which makes his range 52-58.

This also matches what you were seeing with the Adamant Sword. The listed damage is 2d4+2. If we assume the same bug and get 2d4+(2*16), you should be seeing base damage of 34-40 per hit. That looked close to what you were reporting.

You should try giving a Spectre Mace to your level 1 Hunter and see if he hits for 80+ damage.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

interesting,

i don't have a spectre mace tho, i could go back into mangar tower but, what if you are right? What can we do about it?
Maven

Post by Maven »

Well, it might be possible to create a patch. Although it's usually easier to patch stuff where you can bypass or nop code than it is when you have to add code. If I understand the data structure correctly, and if the Amiga data structure is like the one for DOS, the magic + field is in the top 4 bits of the weapon byte. The coder probably masked out the other bits and just forgot to shift it. Patching it would require adding an instruction. Although I can write in 68000 assembly language, I never delved deeply enough into the Amiga OS to be able to make those kinds of patches. Perhaps Drifting could look into it.

Another option would be to embrace the exploit and count it a Bonus for using the Amiga platform. It could be a consolation for the abysmal hit points your characters started out with. It certainly is overpowered, though. Your level 1 magician can use an adamant dagger and do 35 damage.

Or, you could count it as cheating and refuse to use any weapon with a magical + until your characters were at a certain level. Or not at all. Or limit them to only +2 weapons or something.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Maven wrote:Well, it might be possible to create a patch. Although it's usually easier to patch stuff where you can bypass or nop code than it is when you have to add code. If I understand the data structure correctly, and if the Amiga data structure is like the one for DOS, the magic + field is in the top 4 bits of the weapon byte. The coder probably masked out the other bits and just forgot to shift it. Patching it would require adding an instruction. Although I can write in 68000 assembly language, I never delved deeply enough into the Amiga OS to be able to make those kinds of patches. Perhaps Drifting could look into it.

Another option would be to embrace the exploit and count it a Bonus for using the Amiga platform. It could be a consolation for the abysmal hit points your characters started out with. It certainly is overpowered, though. Your level 1 magician can use an adamant dagger and do 35 damage.

Or, you could count it as cheating and refuse to use any weapon with a magical + until your characters were at a certain level. Or not at all. Or limit them to only +2 weapons or something.
Personally, i'd prefer a patch, but there is also the bug where warriors only get 1 attack, and bards get multiple attacks. Amiga version is simply too easy. 3 bards and 3 arch-mages in a party and whatever monsters out there is dead.

People who find it hard to create lvl 1 character simply don't understand how to get going in bard's tale. I pool gold, buy best armor, give to paladin, i die attacking whatever monsters, create new characters, pool gold, buy best armor and weapons and so on, repeat. once all 6 characters are fully armored, simply kill the samurai statue until the party gets to level 2. After that wine cellar isn't particularly difficult...

as a side note 2d4+3x16, seems you are right on. but 45 + ((2d4)+3)) gives exactly the same result lol.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

strength gives you bonus to damage (BT1. in bt3 msdos it only gives to-hit bonus afaik)

and please consider: if you do tests, do it without enemies casting "casts a spell...", because they may have altered your damage with this spell.

there are pages out there and posts here on this forum where you find more details about weapon damage, to-hit and specials.
for example
http://bardstale.wikia.com/wiki/Tales_o ... wn_:_Items